No Pre-Reqs

I know that there are some SLP graduate programs that do not require prerequisites in order to apply or be accepted. However, given the competitive nature of the admissions process for programs, this seems to be impossible. Does anyone know of any success stories of being admitted to SLP graduate programs with little or no prerequisite courses?

i didn't have any prereqs and i was accepted to multiple programs! actually, during my admissions process i heard numerous times that many schools prefer out of field applicants because they come in with diverse perspectives and background knowledge and they tend to be as or more successful than students entering with a background. so you won't be at a disadvantage at all! feel free to message me if you have any questions and good luck!

I had only 2 pre-reqs completed and I got into two programs, one on the first round and the other on a waitlist. I may have gotten off other wait lists but I told many of them to take my name off once I got my first acceptance. So it definitely is doable! Get good letters of rec, write a strong personal statement and be smart with the schools you apply to and you should have a good shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like many of you got into excellent schools without prereqs. What qualifications do you think made you stand out to admissions committees?  

I am considering two options -- completing a post-bac as soon as possible, or just applying to begin in Fall 2014 without prereqs.  The advantage of starting in Fall 2014 is having some more time to complete 

However, I think I might want to take the Ph.D. track and I struggle with knowing what type of research I would want to pursue.

My qualifications are as follows:

- No prereqs

-Undergrad degree in Applied Math, high GPA (3.8 I think) from a good public university 

-GRE scores (Math 170/ verbal 169/Writing 4.5)

-Work experience in the education research sector, specifically in the area of middle school math & technology. one really BS published paper. 

-plans to complete community college courses in ASL & do some shadowing or volunteering over the next 6 months to strengthen my application

I hate to have become someone who posts their stats on a forum and wants to know what people think about my probabilities, but I would love to hear any of your input.  

Cheers!