master's and Phd

hopefulPhd2b

Most of the science PhD programs in the U.S. do not require a MS. If you think that you have strong research experience, then technically you don't need to get a MS degree to get into PhD programs. However, if you are drastically changing field (e.g. mathematics to environmental biology), then it may worth a little bit of time to get a MS in environmental biology, before applying for the env. bio. phd program(s).

Ok. Thank you.

Right now I have a B.S in biology and I'm half way through my master's program in biology but I'm thinking of switching to a PhD in Env toxicology in my school. I'm not very happy with the intensity of my university's program (not challenging enough) but the up side is I will have my PhD a year from now. I guess it's between me finishing the masters and going on to another more challenging school for a PhD or switching to the PhD program now and applying to a decent Post-Doc position a year from now.

My fear is that I would not be very well prepared for the post-doc programs I would like if I got a PhD from the school I'm in right now.

Decisions decisions....

I'm not sure what do you mean by "I'm half way through my master's program in biology" and "I will have my PhD a year from now" -- so are you finishing a MS or PhD student?

In any case, this quick story may motive you -- I know a professor from my alma mater was originally a physical chemist in practice. after the post-doc training, this prof switched to environmental chemistry for an academic position. And now, this professor is one of the leading environmental chemist in the field. so never say never, just think through and make a good plan, other things will fall into place.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant that if I should switch over to the PhD program here, I'll be able to complete my PhD in a year. If I stay in the MS program I should be done in December (hopefully).

I was told that I could switch over to the PhD program at my school, carry over some of my credits while expanding on my project a little more and still be able to graduate by Dec 2014 because the majority of my experiments will be completed by July this year. 

While it is certainly not neccessary to have a master's degree (I entered directly into my PhD program) there is something to be said about spending the extra time. For instance when applying for funding, a 1st PhD with a 2 year masters may have a sinificantly better application (ie publication record) than one without. The same will apply to you when you move on to a post-doc. So considering how condensed your program will become, you should weigh the pros (finishing the PhD faster) verses then cons (not accomplishing what you need to to get the great post-doc posistion). Whatever you choose tho, good luck!