Quitting your job to pursue a MSW?

kiki123

I will be pursuing my MSW in the fall. I just started a new job in March, which I will now be leaving in August because of my choice to pursue my MSW. I work at a nonprofit. Despite the fact that I will be pursuing higher education, I feel guilty that I will be leaving this company after only working there about five months. Is anyone in a similar boat? Or does anyone have advice on how to resign tactfully in this situation?

I left a job after about 7-8 months before heading to my MSW program, as I'd been laid off from my job of 2 years--just as I was finishing applications. You can leave a job after a short period without burning any bridges, especially to pursue your education. Due to the particulars of my agency at the time, I gave about a month's notice though two weeks is standard. Don't ever delay your personal or professional growth because you would feel guilty; that dynamic certainly would not ever occur the other way around. There's a fine line there between being professional and being sacrificial.

If you're working with clients, I would have the conversation with your supervisor about 3-4 weeks prior to your exit to allow for an adequate closure and transition to take place. Your supervisor will more likely be supportive of your continued growth and success, and less likely resentful of your departure. For better or worse, nonprofits are used to turnover and any org worth its salt should be encouraging of its staff's development--even if that means leaving its nest.

I left a job after about 7-8 months before heading to my MSW program, as I'd been laid off from my job of 2 years--just as I was finishing applications. You can leave a job after a short period without burning any bridges, especially to pursue your education. Due to the particulars of my agency at the time, I gave about a month's notice though two weeks is standard. Don't ever delay your personal or professional growth because you would feel guilty; that dynamic certainly would not ever occur the other way around. There's a fine line there between being professional and being sacrificial.

If you're working with clients, I would have the conversation with your supervisor about 3-4 weeks prior to your exit to allow for an adequate closure and transition to take place. Your supervisor will more likely be supportive of your continued growth and success, and less likely resentful of your departure. For better or worse, nonprofits are used to turnover and any org worth its salt should be encouraging of its staff's development--even if that means leaving its nest.

Thank you for your advice. Your post has given me more confidence to take the steps that I need to take.

Could you defer your admission a year? Then, it wouldn't look so bad for you to leave once you have over a year of service at your current job.

I have debated deferring, but the cons of deferring currently outweigh the pros.