Question about non-traditional PhD programs

gilmoregirl1010

I am finishing up my Master's degree in Sociology now, and will be applying to PhD programs in the Fall. However, the more I learn about a potential career in academia, the more I think that, rather than seeking out a job at a university, I'd rather look for employment in a more "applied" setting, either with the government or a think-tank. I still would like to get my PhD, especially since many of the jobs I've seen posted require one, but I also know that many PhD programs fight very hard to get their students to go the academic route.

So my question is: do you know of any Sociology PhD programs that are genuinely okay with their graduates pursuing non-academic careers?

[...] Do you know of any Sociology PhD programs that are genuinely okay with their graduates pursuing non-academic careers?

Indeed, I do. And I'm sure Yale University is not the only one. From the Yale Sociology Dept. web page: "The doctoral program in sociology prepares students for careers in research and teaching. While most of our graduates teach in colleges and universities, others hold research appointments in government agencies, medical and mental health centers, consulting firms, or other non-profit or research settings."

Have you researched prospective PhD programs? I'm sure you'll find several that support appointments outside of academia.

This was a point that played a big role in the schools I applied to several seasons ago. I found that looking at job placements of recent grads was a good indicator of whether students were supported in entering non-teaching positions. You could also look at professor's CVs to see if they do work outside of teaching/publishing - what else are they involved in? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think anyone will hate you for going into private industry, or maybe I'm just being naive because I think they shouldn't hate you for it.  In any event, your long term life plans could change and are your business anyway, so as long as you don't sell yourself as a professional-school candidate and make it clear that you're interested in becoming a rigorous research professional, I don't think you'll have trouble with admissions and graduate school along the way.