Importance of GRE Writing for Philosophy Admissions

tomjonesy517

Hi again,

I was wondering if any of you know the importance of GRE AW scores for admissions. I'm looking at Miami Ohio and U Oregon for MAs, and Stony Brook and Emory for Ph.Ds). I'm not worried about verbal or math, but I fear I could dip into 4.0 territory for the writing (looking more like 4.5-5.0). I'd just like to gauge how worried I should be about this prospect. Thanks for any information.

I think your writing sample and SOP are far more important than your GRE scores. That being said, what I would do is look at the results posted here by those who were accepted to the programs you're looking to get into. Sometimes they'll say what their GRE scores were.

EDIT: Figured I'd just give you the results.

Emory: Looks like, based on the few accepted applications who submitted their GRE scores, the avg is around 5
Stony Brook: Avg looks to be a 5
Miami (Ohio): Ranges from 4-5
U Oregon: Looks like a lot of 5's here too

I'd work on your writing and try to shoot for a 5 or above based on the scores of those being accepted.

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

• 4 weeks later...

I applied to nearly 30 programs over 3 years with nearly the same materials and was rejected from all doctoral programs. I retook the GRE, changed my score from 61st percentile to 81st in verbal and 61st to 93rd in writing and got immediately accepted.

This has frustrated me significantly because there is much banter about the value of other factors (LOR, essays, matching interests, etc.), and yet I found my scores were a significant part of why I didn't get in (perhaps I had everything else but the scores, so even if I scored well the first time without the other material I wouldn't have gotten in again).

Make sure you hit scores that are at least average for philosophy (we tend to hit the highest in every category and are second only to engineers in math), and retake as necessary.

I applied to nearly 30 programs over 3 years with nearly the same materials and was rejected from all doctoral programs. I retook the GRE, changed my score from 61st percentile to 81st in verbal and 61st to 93rd in writing and got immediately accepted.

This has frustrated me significantly because there is much banter about the value of other factors (LOR, essays, matching interests, etc.), and yet I found my scores were a significant part of why I didn't get in (perhaps I had everything else but the scores, so even if I scored well the first time without the other material I wouldn't have gotten in again).

Make sure you hit scores that are at least average for philosophy (we tend to hit the highest in every category and are second only to engineers in math), and retake as necessary.

The writing score is by far the least important part of your application. By this I mean that they're not going to get you into a program. The admission committee is not going to read your writing sample, find themselves disappointed, but take a glance at your GRE scores and say: "Gadzooks! We must admit this fellow!"

That said, significant question can be raised if your scores are poor. The way you write for the GRE Writing is different from how you would write a good philosophy paper. So, a 4.0 is fine. It indicates that you're able to write to some degree, but just not in the way the GRE wants you to. If you were to score a 3.0 or below however, then this indicates to everyone (the GRE committee and the philosophy committee) that your basic writing abilities are flawed.

The verbal portion of the GRE is more important, but the same rule applies. A 61st percentile on the verbal is, to be frank, atrocious There are rumors that some programs have GRE cut off scores. These may or may not be actual rules, or rules that are easily broken, but I think that just because there are rumors to this effect, that there's some truth behind the mentality. Even still, a 81st percentile still falls below the typical GRE cut off point. Which signals to me that my main point still stands, that low GRE scores are not going to be the cause of your downfall unless they are egregious. (Just try to aim for a 1400 or above on the old standard)

These programs (SPEP-style) care primarily about writing samples, SOPs (for purposes of matching you with POIs and making sure you're the 'right kind' of philosopher), and rec letters.  I can't emphasize the importance of letters enough - these programs have an in-crowd mentality and get a shit ton of applicants, so letters from the right people will get you a second look.  

I wouldn't worry too much about anything GRE related, these places generally have contempt for standardized tests.

My point was misread: it's not the score will get you in but that they can keep you out. I am already accepted and was offering advice.

Ah, sorry, my bad. I think I got lost in my own thoughts.

I really only meant to say that bad GRE scores can keep you out, but that a 4.0 on the AW isn't low enough to do that.