Anyone heard from Auburn??

So glad to know we're in the same boat. I've applied to the MA program, though.

I can tell you, however, that one of my reference writers knows and contacted earlier this month one of the Deans of the Graduate School. The email said that English decisions would "begin" to go out the following week. Now THAT was 2 weeks ago, and last week, of course, was their spring break.

I'm dying; I wish they'd let us know something soon!

I'm so glad you responded. I was beginning to think that no one else applied to Auburn! Of course, that would improve my chances :) While I hate that anyone else has to suffer this horrific wait along with me, it's heartening to know that I've got company. If you do hear anything, please post here and let me know. Best of luck!!!

I will absolutely share the wealth (and hopefully its good wealth to share!). Of course, I hope if you are notified, you will reciprocate the generosity. :)

Just out of curiosity, where are your interests? I am interested in, well, Gilded Age American Lit. I really wanted to be there when Dr. Hitchcock was there, but I just missed him. I have met him, though, and he was exceedingly pleasant. This was at a conference, and he and I ran into each other about 3 times (after our initial introduction) throughout the course of the day, and he continuously offered anything he could to help--even told me to look him up in the phone book if I needed to. He emailed me a reading list that I worked on in the interim between summer and fall. Great, great guy.

Okay, promised you an update, so here goes: I finally contacted Auburn today regarding the status of my application. Shortly thereafter, I got an email from the DGS asking me when I paid my application fee. So, clearly, they have no record of me. To say I am irritated would be an understatement. They sent me several emails telling me that they were in receipt of my transcripts, etc. -- yet no mention of an unpaid fee?!

Just out of curiosity, who did you contact? I've been a mix of trying to wait it out and I really just want to know and I really don't care anymore for the past week or so.

I also got those emails...I paid as soon as I submitted my application, though, or does (or did) that matter?

..I was warned about potential pitfalls in the application process to Auburn. I should have heeded them sooner.

At any rate, thanks for the update.

Okay, well now I must say that I am impressed with the response of the DGS. Not only did she go waaay out of her way to locate my application, she had the grad school "activate" my application. Then she emailed me to let me know that *not* all funding decisions have been made yet and she would make sure that my application is reviewed. She went, as they say, 'above and beyond,' in an effort to rectify the problem and reignited my hopes regarding the program.

So, now I'm back to keeping my fingers crossed :D

• 2 weeks later...

Got an email today saying that all offers had been made, but that I was #1 on the waitlist. She said "occasionally" people may renege on offers during the summer, but I'm not going to hold out too much hope. I retained my position on the waitlist, though...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, so here's the promised update:

Got accepted/funded at Auburn but recieved a better offer. Good luck!!! Seems like a great program and the Grad Coordinator is incredibly helpful and professional :)

Congratulations to you, Disjecta! I don't know if you're 19th -century or not, but I'm rather envious you'll have the opportunity to study with Nancy Henry, a wonderful George Eliot scholar just began teaching at Tennessee last fall -- I'd applied to Binghamton hoping to study with her and was told by the DGS that she was no longer there.

I'm going to Temple and have been hoping to see you get funding somewhere -- I'm so glad you've gotten two excellent offers. Congratulations!

Thanks latetothegame! I work in 20th century but I am familiar w/ Dr. Henry. I'm sure I will have ample opportunity to take her classes. So nice of you to pull for me. Temple looks like a great program -- I'm sure you'll love it there! Best of luck :)