Applying to a PhD Program as an Undergrad

GhostsBeforeBreakfast

Out of curiosity, I was just wondering how many of you successfully applied to PhD programs without an MA? 
What do you think made you stand out when competing against those who were applying with MA degrees in hand?
Any other anecdotes would be helpful as well.

I can only respond anecdotally. My program is a combined PhD, and I applied to Film Studies program although my research interests do involve ample art historical material. Out of the six admits this year, I don't think anyone comes directly from the BA. For the History of Art admits (11 or 12) I'm also certain that the vast majority already hold MAs. For Film Studies admits at other programs, I'm willing to bet it is the same story. 

This was my second application cycle after earning my MA; my sense was that there is a definite and growing trend toward admitting MA-holders to PhD programs across the humanities. I also think there is a good logic here as doing an MA means you are more likely to enter the PhD program with a clearer sense of your research interests, a better understanding of academia as a profession, and just a greater professionalisation overall. This is all good news for PhD programs eager to control time-to-degree, post-graduation outcomes, etc. 

Edited by Swagato

I entered my PhD program with only a BA. It comes down to being able to demonstrate that you're a mature scholar ready to do high level research. That means a number of things. First, it's essential to write a senior thesis, which will be the best demonstration that you can carry out an extended research project and should probably be the basis of your writing sample. Beyond that, your thesis should show that you can work with a variety of primary sources, that you're methodologically  aware and theoretically sophisticated, that you can engage with the historiography, and that you know how to construct a coherent, (somewhat) original argument based in historically sensitive visual analysis. If that sounds like a tall order, keep in mind no one is expecting perfection when you're 22--and in fact when I think back to my senior thesis I shudder at how bad it really was--but you do have to demonstrate potential and that you know what you're doing. You also have to have reasonably well defined interests and a point of view: simply wanting to study Renaissance portraiture because it's "interesting" to you won't cut it. Finally, languages are key: if you have one language down and another started (if you're doing non-American/British art), you'll be very competitive. But keep in mind that scholars mature at different rates. Some people are ready after a BA; other aren't and need the extra time to sharpen their interests, learn more about what it means to be an art historian, and figure what kind of intervention in the field they want to make. My advice is to apply to both MA and MA/PhD programs. If you get into a top PhD program, great; if not, it could be a sign that you're not quite ready. Whatever you do, don't go into debt earning an MA though.  

Edited by condivi

Thank you so much, Condivi, what an amazing response. This makes me feel confident in my current position. I'm entering my senior year now and already have long term research under my belt as well as a good understanding of how to find the right research materials. I'll probably look back at the 20+ page papers I've written and shudder as well but I'm at least glad that I've learned how to construct them. I'm about to begin a methodology course that is split between ten seniors and ten first year masters degree students. Hopefully the methods course will help, as well as taking a graduate class in the spring semester. I have a really good understanding of where my interests lie and thankfully so does the main professor who I would ask to write my recommendation.

Out of all of your advice, I feel the least confident about languages at this time. I do struggle with my understanding of French and German, though if I excel anywhere it would be in reading and translation, so thank god for that. It sounds like this could be the nail in the coffin though, when it comes to competing with MA students.

I think I'm going to apply to all PhD programs except Hunter where I may apply for the MA program. I may end up not applying until next year though.
This is quite the stressful time; GRE tests, finding POIs, work, classes, keeping sane, etc.

Thank you again.

Glad I could help! You sound like you're in pretty good shape. Regardless of whether you choose to apply for an MA or an MA/PhD program, I would recommend taking a year off. First, you'll be able to focus your energies on writing a really stellar thesis. Second, you could use your gap year to improve your language skills (many European countries have teaching assistantship programs, or you could apply for a Fulbright) or get a low pressure internship at a museum to get more exposure to the material side of art history. Third, I think it's just a good idea: you'll avoid "burn out", you'll be able to mature more as a person and by extension as a scholar, and you'll have more time to confirm for yourself that this is really what you want to do--because, as I'm sure you know, this is not a decision to be taken lightly, given the job prospects in the humanities and the fact that you'll be barely scrapping by on a little over $20,000 a year until you're almost 30. All my professors urged my to take a gap year, and I'm glad they did. It made me a better applicant and a more mature student.

Yeah, I always said I would jump right in but I'm considering a year off now. I'm so stubborn. I might still apply because I don't know if I can help not applying and then consider deferring, though, I can tell you now, I'll probably end up just taking the offer, if it comes. I just registered for the GRE so everything is becoming more real.
I might start doing paid work for an art-start up soon :) . God only knows why they want me but basically they hold private salons for art buyers and have Q and A talks with the artists while also circulating through different curators for each show. It's pretty cool and since I'd be writing their blog and helping set up salons  I'd have something to show for it. It's all in the negotiation process right now though so I'm still holding my breath.

I did find out recently that, I think it was UCLA, after tuition, you only make about $10,000 in pocket a year for lecturing. At the same time, I've wanted this for too long to not be a slave and hopefully my boyfriend will keep letting me pay 1/3 of the rent for the next 7-8 years, haha.

We'll see though, I may take that year so I can make some full time money, become better at required languages, and write something that universities can't say no to. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, uh... is it a complete faux pas to mention more than one professor you're interested in as an advisor at a specific university? 
I suppose the answer would be to just contact up to three that I'm interested in and see who the best fit ends up being if they reply. Maybe that alone is a faux pas?

Edited by SheisStellar

I also went straight from a B.A to a Ph.D program.  I'll second condivi's advice and add what I think did it for me:

1. An original senior thesis with primary source/archival research and a solid use of secondary sources

2. Who I knew.  My undergraduate adviser is a total hotshot in my field and she's friendly and well-liked in the community.  A letter of recommendation from her was immensely valuable. 

It's always difficult to pinpoint exactly how a school judges applicants, but this is my gut feeling for why things went pretty positively for me.

The other piece of advice is that you're going to have to be pretty strong and secure emotionally/intellectually to go straight to a Ph.D program made up of mostly older students.  I am the youngest in my department by a few years.  Most of the people in my cohort and above me are in their early thirties and have a couple years of work experience under their belt.  It was tough not to feel inadequate around them.

I have another naive question; There's someone at a certain university I am interested in but oddly enough he is not in the art history department. Is it possible to have someone outside my department as an advisor? It's not the end of the world if this is not possible.

I have another naive question; There's someone at a certain university I am interested in but oddly enough he is not in the art history department. Is it possible to have someone outside my department as an advisor? It's not the end of the world if this is not possible.

No. He could be on your dissertation committee and you could take classes with him, but if you want him to be your advisor you have to apply to his department.