B.S. in Neuroscience...many questions

zzzboy

Hello.  I am looking to apply to a Master's programs in Statistics and Applied Statistics throughout the country in November because I want to become a data scientist.  I am a graduate of UCLA with a BS in neuroscience.

I have a very limited math background given that I am a neuroscience major.  I have taken Calc 1-3 and I earned A's in all three.  I have also taken non-calculus based statistics and I got an A.

My GPA is a 3.501 and my projected GRE scores are above 165 in both Verbal and Math (taking it in 4 weeks).  The problem is that my lower division GPA is a 3.9 while my upper division GPA is very low at 2.6.  I did nothing but party junior year and onward, and a D in my final quarter really brought it down.

1) Will I be able to gain acceptance in a decent program somewhere in the country?  My letters are pretty average, and I plan to apply to 20+ programs.  My essay should be very good.

2) Do I need to take the mathematics subject test GRE to show the committees that I can do well in math?  I signed up for it last week and honestly it seems as if I don't have enough time (I have one month).  I know only about 20% of the material in my review book, and it's so condensed that learning new stuff is hard.  Regular GRE math is ridiculously easy, so I will certainly be in the top 95% percentile.

3) What should I emphasize in my essay?

4) Should I reach out to program directors and stuff (especially ones at UCLA) to pitch myself more?

Thank you.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not a professor, or a graduate student - I'm just a guy on the internet who is also applying to statistics programs.  So you probably shouldn't believe anything that I say...

1.  My guess is that it depends largely on what you mean by "decent."  The best schools (Stanford, Berkeley, UW. etc.) are frankly probably out of reach given your limited math background and GPA.  The big omission in your math background is linear algebra.  Real anaslysis is also nice, but not necessarily a requirement.  Even assuming that you are a US native, it's honestly not worth applying to anything listed in the top 10 on US News (or probably even a little lower) unless there's something else stellar in your profile that isn't listed above. 

Some other thoughts --

Applied statistics will be an easier sell than the more theortical programs given your limited math background.  You may have more luck applying to biostatistics programs instead of pure stats.  I think that biostatistics would still be perfectly suitable if you want to be a data scientist, particularly if you try to tailor your learning for data science types of problems.  Biostatistics programs tend to be a little less competitive, and often weigh the verbal component of the GRE a little more, both of which work toward your favor (assuming your GRE projections are correct).  You could also make a good sell for many biostatistics programs with your neuro background.  Finally, you might want to take a look at computational biology programs (especially if you're into computers/programming), which also tend to be feeders into data science type gigs, and for which you might be more qualified.

20+ is a lot of programs.  My guess is that you actually will get better results applying to a smaller number of programs in the range that you are qualified for, and more carefully refining those apps.

I wouldn't worry about the D in your final quarter too much - especially if it's not in a math class.  No one cares if you got a D in Canadian Literature.  Even if it is from a math class, a single bad grade isn't going to ruin your app.  I would be a lot more concerned about your "upper division" GPA of 2.6.  I'm not totally sure what you mean by "upper division," but it sounds like your GPA declined over time.  Adcoms like to see improvement over the course of your academic career, and getting low marks your junior and senior year could hurt you.  Hopefully this is obvious, but be ready to field questions about why your GPA declined, why you got a D, etc. with a plausible reason that is not 'partying too much.'

I hope that isn't too discouraging, and it's also worth pointing out that you are in an enviable position of being able to improve your profile.  Cheerfully for you, from talking to professors, I've found that among GRE scores, letters, and grades; grades, perhaps surprisingly, are the least important.  Also, If you took linear algebra, real analysis, and a couple stats/probability courses and got good grades (and maybe some awesome recs) you could greatly enhance your app.  Keep in mind though, that for many programs GRE scores are often used more as a cutoff, so the difference between say a 163 and a 167 won't necessarily matter that much except when candidates otherwise have very similar qualifications.

2.  Probably not, although if you did well it could help.  The subject test is notoriously competitive, and not many applicants (especially domestic applicants, and especially masters students) bother to take it.  That said, I think that there are other areas in your profile that you could more easily improve.  My gut feeling is that taking a few more math classes and doing well will improve your chances much more, and probably also be less work.

3.  This is the million dollar question.  If I were in your situation, I would try to emphasize why I wanted to study stats, especially because you are coming from a background that is a tad atypical.  Why does statistics excite you?  You might briefly explain why your grades aren't stellar if you have an appropriate reason, but I wouldn't dwell on that aspect too much.  Focus on what you've done well, and why you're passionate about learning statistics!

4.  From what I've gathered, reaching out to professors and directors isn't nearly as important in math/statistics as it is in other disciplines.  Statistics grad students rarely have a viable research idea entering the program, and probably for that reason it isn't as important to try and identify and contact a specific group/mentor beforehand.

Edited by finalrez

I agree with the vast majority of what finalrez has to say here. I think the poor grades in "upper-division" courses are only an issue because they happened late in your undergrad career. I don't think adcoms will care that you did poorly in advanced neuro courses, etc. They'll be more concerned with your performance in math classes. And who knows they might not even bother to look at your GPA in various categories of classes. I would suggest taking linear algebra and then applying to biostats programs. Apply to 10-15 mid-tier programs and I bet you'll find a home. Your overall GPA isn't bad, you have a background in a relevant area, and a lot of master's programs have pretty high acceptance rates. Good luck!