How to include research experience in statement of purpose (Biology/Science)

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could provide some assistance with a problem I am having with my statement of purpose. I have over 2 years research experience as an undergraduate and am having trouble figuring out how to include my experience in my statement. It is not that I cannot figure out a way to work it in, but that I have been lucky enough to be heavily involved in many projects that even a sparse description would take up a page at minimum. Does anyone know a more appropriate way to address research experience aside from simply describing my projects and skills.

Thank you.

I am surprised that it would take a page to describe your research to someone. I think you should aim to do it in maybe 3-5 sentences at the maximum. Imagine making an "elevator pitch" to someone -- let's say you are at a big conference in your field and you end up talking to a prof in your field (but you have no idea if they are an expert in your subfield) for 30 seconds. They ask you what did you do with Prof X. and you have to tell them. What do you say?

In my SOP, I had 4 research projects to discuss and for each one, I summarised the problem we were trying to solve in 1 sentence. I discussed the methods used and skills learned (2-3 sentences). I then described our results and why it was important (1 sentence). Finally, I also discussed any impact our work ended up having in the field.

One thing you should keep in mind is that the profs who read your SOP may come from a wide background. So, I wrote sentences that could be read at different levels of detail. For example, "I used the SWIFT numerical integrator to...." People who know what SWIFT is will immediately know exactly what kind of skills/experience I have. But people who don't know SWIFT will still know what type of method I used and what kinds of skills are generally required for that method. Ultimately, I want to tell the people in my subfield my specific skills, so those who need to know will know what I mean. This level of detail is not necessary for those not in my subfield, so I don't need to waste several paragraphs describing the SWIFT numerical integrator.

Edited by TakeruK

My opinion..?

Whatever your train of thought is.. probably best to ditch and start over. The SOP is about what you want to do while there and how your background proves you're up to the task. Your resume/CV is for the extensive chronicling of what you've done in minute detail.

Broad brush strokes. They see all your stuff at once.

If it makes you feel better, you can write "Blah blah blah prepared me for the rigors of bleh bleh, as you can see in detail on my resume."

They will probably have both right in front of them.

loric i w

My opinion..?

Whatever your train of thought is.. probably best to ditch and start over. The SOP is about what you want to do while there and how your background proves you're up to the task. Your resume/CV is for the extensive chronicling of what you've done in minute detail.

Broad brush strokes. They see all your stuff at once.

Exactly what i was thinking...

the only thing is- not all schools ask for a resume. So thats why people feel they need to describe everything in their SOP..