Statement of Purpose (Help!)

wandajune

What information are you including or did you include in your statement of purpose? I'm working on mine currently. I'm applying directly out of my undergrad, so I don't have much in the way of professional experience to talk about. I feel like I've said all I really have to say, yet it's still quite short. Any advice?

(Successful applicants who are currently enrolled, I would especially appreciate your feedback!)

I just included my philosophical interests and why I wanted to study at that particular university. If the university asked any specific questions, I adapted my SOP, but besides that, I kept them all the same except for the last paragraph (which is where I spoke about my university-specific interests). I tried to keep it as simple and straight-forward as possible, though I've only applied to two programs at the moment.

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

What i included in my SOPs that I sent out is similar to barscenegamblers, and I also did a university-specific paragraph where I explained how my interests matched up to faculty at that institution. You can see a few successful examples of SOP here: http://schwitzsplintersunderblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/sample-statement-of-purpose.html