SIRPA (Fudan University)

tkamkbd

Hi everyone! Does anyone know anything about Fudan University's School of International Relations and Public Affairs (SIRPA)? I know it's fairly new, but I've been offered a scholarship, and I think that living in Shanghai would be unparalleled. I'm trying to find out if the MA in Chinese Politics and Diplomacy is well regarded. Does anyone knows how it compares to an MA in China Studies from SAIS or Elliott?

I don't know much about SIRPA's brand name, but I spend the summer at Fudan a couple of years ago, being taught by a few of the professors from SIRPA. I have to say that even though the city was amazing, the educational experience was subpar. There were a couple of really good professors, but the rest were pretty much just repeating the 'party line' when it came to Chinese foreign policy and economic reform. Not very challenging or self-reflective. I hear that the quantitative courses are good, but to be honest the policy courses do not seem worth it.

I don't know much about SIRPA's brand name, but I spend the summer at Fudan a couple of years ago, being taught by a few of the professors from SIRPA. I have to say that even though the city was amazing, the educational experience was subpar. There were a couple of really good professors, but the rest were pretty much just repeating the 'party line' when it came to Chinese foreign policy and economic reform. Not very challenging or self-reflective. I hear that the quantitative courses are good, but to be honest the policy courses do not seem worth it.

Totally agree. I'm from Shanghai. Actually SIRPA is very famous in China but not the same abroad, and it's true that if you want to explore some government policies, don't expect more than the demostrating and reiterating of the CPC guideline.

Thanks for your replies! Do you think which country you get an MA from matters? For instance, if I wanted to work in China in the future, an MA from a US school would probably be well regarded, but maybe not the other way around. Fudan's program does sound good, but do you know how it ranks/compares to programs in the US? I'm wondering if living in China should be the biggest pull in deciding, or more of the program itself.

I think you should choose based on the program. If you want to combine it with the experience of living in China, then do an internship there over the summer, or spend a semester at a Chinese university through an exchange program (which several US programs have).

I would recommend you to check out the Hopkins-Nanjing center as well as USD's International Relations-Pacific Studies program

http://nanjing.jhu.edu/index.html

http://irps.ucsd.edu/

Compare to SIPRA, Hopkins-Nanjing program is better I think. Though SIPRA could be regarded as top 5 in China, it probably quite behind the first tier schools in the U.S. You'll still get many opportunities to go to China even if you study in US schools, either exchange programs or summer programs.