Somehow bombed GRE A.W.--Retake? Please advise!

garlica

Hello!

So I just took the GRE and I thought I did moderately well. I could have done better in quantitive, but I was overall pleased.

Verbal: 163 (91%)

Quant: 153 (53%)

But I just got my Analytical Writing back and....a 3 (14%)!

I am baffled. I consider writing one of my strong suits (and have been told so by many of my professors and colleagues). I have no idea how this happened.

My profile:

Undergrad: Bachelors in Economics

Math: Calculus 1-3 (A- in all), Statistics I & II (A-), Linear Algebra ©, Econometrics (B+)

GPA: 3.45 (upper division GPA: 3.96)

Work experience:

-2 Years with a research assistantship at the School of Government (related to environmental policy), academic paper under consideration (fingers crossed!)

-Intern abroad at an NGO working on public sanitation issues in a developing country

-Internship at major environmental policy NGO

-Currently serving in the Americorps (related to financial literacy education)

I am applying to:

U Oregon, Environmental Studies

Oregon State: MPP
U Michigan SNRE (Public Policy)

U Indiana SPEA

U Vermont School of the Environment

It would be a little bit of a financial burden to retake the GRE (see Americorps) but I could swing it.

Thanks so much!

I second the first reply.

I got a 4.0AW but I won't take GRE again.

I've heard from numerous people that AW doesn't count for much, esp b/c it's still in its tweaking phase.

If you're SOP is stellar, I think you should be fine. 

(I'm banking on my writing samples and LOR from my profs as well tho)

I've also heard that the AW doesn't count for much but a score of 3 will stand out.  If I were you I'd retake it and try to get the quant up while you're at it.  The other aspects of your app are pretty strong.  You might actually have a shot at some decent funding with a more respectable score.  

There are techniques that'll help you score higher on the AW.  Some quick brainstorming on a scrap paper really helps.  Did you just sit down and start writing it?

• 1 month later...

So I retook it....and I didn't do much better. The funny thing is the section I didn't study for (the verbal) I had the biggest jump (from a 163 to a 167). I went up 1 point in quantative. And analytical writing? 3 to 3.5.  I spent a lot of time studying, especially for the AW. I practiced coming up with outlines for the examples listed on the ETS website, and writing full essays.

Well....my applications are now submitted. Hopefully good grades in my numerous calculus and statistics classes will compensate for my mediocre quantative, and my research experience, SOP, and LOR for my analytical writing. I'm just happy I will never take have to give ETS (Evil Testing Services?) any money again!

Good luck everyone!

Gralica,

As your verbal score is really great, would you please introduce me some resources for this part of GRE exam?

If you also have any useful resources for quant part, I would be thankful if you could share them with me.

I had a 3.5 the first time, i am glad i retook it. Sadly the writing unlike waht kaplan tells you is all about writing long essays, the first time I did 5 and had time to spare, the second time I did 7 and did not and got a 4.5, English is not my first language thanks to having gotten higher than a 4 i managed to not have to take a writing class in grad school and I am pretty sure it helped me get better financial aid. So if you can do it.

Gralica,

As your verbal score is really great, would you please introduce me some resources for this part of GRE exam?

If you also have any useful resources for quant part, I would be thankful if you could share them with me.

Send me a PM with your email I have the ultimate quant book that got me my 165 it is called math bible and some great practicing exams taht are great to time yourself I got them from my instructor friend and have it on pdf I want to share my good fortune plus I think kaplan etc are wastes of money so just send me your email and Ill share it. For practicing real exams I recommend manhattan, it costs about 20 bucks and they are super hard but thus once you nail those the real exam is easy.

Send me a PM with your email I have the ultimate quant book that got me my 165 it is called math bible and some great practicing exams taht are great to time yourself I got them from my instructor friend and have it on pdf I want to share my good fortune plus I think kaplan etc are wastes of money so just send me your email and Ill share it. For practicing real exams I recommend manhattan, it costs about 20 bucks and they are super hard but thus once you nail those the real exam is easy.

I've send you a pm including my email. Thanks for your helpppppp beforehand :)