MS or PhD

null_value

So, I'm kind of sitting around, twiddling my thumbs, and waiting to hear back from schools I have applied to. Now I am starting to wonder if I made the correct choice in applying to the MS programs, and not straight to the PhD programs. My eventual goal is to teach and do research, but not having any research or teaching experience I was thinking that a MS would provide a good stepping stone (and at the same time be somewhat less competitive). Now I'm starting to second guess myself though. Anyone else been in a similar dilemma and have any insight?

Ask yourself the fundamental differences between the Ideal PhD candidate and an MS candidate.  Do you know what subfield you want to study ? Do you know what the contemporary problems are in your subfield? Do you know what types of methods are used to solve these problems? Do you know what journals are currently publishing projects based on solving these problems. Could you put down in words  what these problems are, what methods are used to solve them, and how those methods have the ability to solve them? 

If you can't do all of the above, that doesn't mean you aren't ready for a PhD; but seeing as you don't have any teaching or research experience you might find answering those questions daunting. I think going for a funded MS, especially if you have good stats, is the right way to go. If you are successful in your MS it probably makes you a much stronger candidate than applying directly to undergrad. 

That was kind of what I was thinking. I have some idea of what I would like to study, but I do feel like it needs some refinement. Most of my stats are pretty good (I think), I just got hung up on the QR section of the GRE a little bit (hopefully won't negatively impact my chances too much). Anyway, thanks for the input!

Edited by abbottki

QR on the GRE is a pretty important hurdle to most top PhD programs. I hear the general rule of thumb is it needs to be above 90%.

I think you should apply to some PhD programs you are interested in anyway. You might get in, and if so it would save you a lot of time, money, and effort. If you have a particular professor in mind at a school, and your background happens to fit their research interests, then you have an even better shot.

So, here's my follow up to this then. Since I have already submitted all of my applications for MS programs, would it reflect negatively on me to also apply for the PhD programs (assuming they can use the same information collected for my MS applications)?