Help thinking of good&small schools

Satyr

Hello, my name if Eli.
I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking this, but I have an important question that couldn't be answered by a pretty extensive search in Google and a small search around here. I just finished high-school here in Israel, and it's about time for me to think about where do I want to learn. I'm sure that I want to learn philosophy. Iv'e been reading allot of material since I was six-teen - and my main interest is in continental philosophy, although I spent allot of time reading middle-age arab philosophy and ancient philosophy as well. I have a pretty extensive background - so I know I want to learn philosophy, and maybe take courses in classics and litre as well.

I want to learn at a small place for my undergrad. The reason being that I don't have allot of money (certainty not for most of the big places...), I don't have overwhelming grades and I don't think that undergrad programs are so different from each other in any college. As I understand it, most of the difference between schools presents itself more at postgrad level. I want to study abroad, in an English speaking environment. I don't really care if it's in the US, Canada, Australia or England (although, I do have a soft spot for England).

Preferably, I want to learn in a place in which people/college demands to actually read (you can understand Iv'e been traumatized by philo students in my country) the materials, a place that has allot of green (trees ah?) and good intelligent company. ;-)

Now that Iv'e described "the-thing-initself", I ask you guys to help me out finding the college-phenomena... Thank you very much! And I'm extremely sorry if this question is inappropriate for this forum or something...

Edited by Satyr

Hi satyr,

I hope you find what you're looking for in philosophy.

Unless you are rich or otherwise wealthy enough to attend an ivy league school (or win full scholarships) that Israel is a fine enough place to study.

Don't think about getting your bachelors -- think about earning your phd ! Get decent grades and make it a goal to publish 1-2 times in a journal of philosophy before you graduate.

It wouldn't be worth it to study at a state university in the US. Too many distractions from your main goal, anyways.

Goodluck !!

Hi satyr,

I hope you find what you're looking for in philosophy.

Unless you are rich or otherwise wealthy enough to attend an ivy league school (or win full scholarships) that Israel is a fine enough place to study.

Don't think about getting your bachelors -- think about earning your phd ! Get decent grades and make it a goal to publish 1-2 times in a journal of philosophy before you graduate.

It wouldn't be worth it to study at a state university in the US. Too many distractions from your main goal, anyways.

Goodluck !!

I try not to think too far before I officially "in the pool" if you know what I mean ;-)

Thanks for the advise, but one of the things I'm looking for is people that are focused on the content and aren't vain or otherwise just focused only the postmoderns (which to me, are practically the same). Unfortunatley, that is hard to come by here in Israel.. Also I'm a bit familiar with the students & system in the best U for this in Israel, since I'm "free listener" at this U.

Also, Israel is like in the size of third of west virginia (I think even smaller) and I'm looking to get away because trust me - having home close by distracts more that almost anything.

Can you elaborate on the so called distractions? thanks for the help! :D

Edited by Satyr

Don't avoid applying to a school just because it has expensive tuition - oftentimes those are the schools that have more money available in scholarships. Do some research to see if there are specific grants available to you (at schools or maybe through your government) and find out about different financial aid and scholarship options. You mentioned you're worried about your grades keeping you from getting scholarships, but you're obviously passionate and knowledgeable about philosophy so that may help you get noticed by schools.

Good luck :)

Edited by NoSleepTilBreuckelen

Don't avoid applying to a school just because it has expensive tuition - oftentimes those are the schools that have more money available in scholarships. Do some research to see if there are specific grants available to you (at schools or maybe through your government) and find out about different financial aid and scholarship options. You mentioned you're worried about your grades keeping you from getting scholarships, but you're obviously passionate and knowledgeable about philosophy so that may help you get noticed by schools.

Good luck :)

Thank you! Is there a specific way to get that acknowledged (passion and knowledge)? Because if there is, that might be just the one "remarkable" thing that could get me to good schools. Do you have any ideas for specific schools?

Satyr,

Ignore dfindley. he is crashing this forum and being rude to everyone and giving absurd advice. Of course you should get a bachelors degree before a phd. I understood from your post that you are not yet an undergraduate, so of course that's the first step before the phd. If philosophy phd is somewhere you want to end up, then definitely consider going to a school with some prestige, if that's a possibility. as far as small departments with significant philosophy reputations in the US, the two that immediately come to mind are Dartmouth and Swarthmore. Both would be pretty tough to get into tho. I would think twice about coming halfway across the world for a middle of the road school. Even if your grades aren't fantastic, the diversity of experience that you bring to the table will be an advantage.

Satyr,

Ignore dfindley. he is crashing this forum and being rude to everyone and giving absurd advice. Of course you should get a bachelors degree before a phd. I understood from your post that you are not yet an undergraduate, so of course that's the first step before the phd. If philosophy phd is somewhere you want to end up, then definitely consider going to a school with some prestige, if that's a possibility. as far as small departments with significant philosophy reputations in the US, the two that immediately come to mind are Dartmouth and Swarthmore. Both would be pretty tough to get into tho. I would think twice about coming halfway across the world for a middle of the road school. Even if your grades aren't fantastic, the diversity of experience that you bring to the table will be an advantage.

By "small" I don't necessarily mean size-wise. But just the general concept of non-big, non-fancy, non-prestigious place that teaches the material in a proper way. And I was talking only about undergrad :-)

As for dfriendly - what's wrong with a little bit passionate spirit? ;-)

Edited by Satyr

By "small" I don't necessarily mean size-wise. But just the general concept of non-big, non-fancy, non-prestigious place that teaches the material in a proper way. And I was talking only about undergrad :-)

As for dfriendly - what's wrong with a little bit passionate spirit? ;-)

It's not about spirit, it's about him being a crank who goes out of his way to simultaneously say the most insane things possible and try his best to prove, both to himself and to others (though mostly to himself) that he isn't completely ludicrous. 

As for smaller programs, any program that's well ranked will teach the material "the proper way". If you're looking for a toned-down environment, you might want to look at state schools or smaller private institutions, places that have the faculty to support all your interests and aspirations with departments self-aware enough to know that they're not competing with MIT or Princeton. With that in mind, and being aware of your continental interests, I'd suggest programs like Penn State, SUNY Stonybrook, Fordham University, aaaand maybe Loyola University Chicago (if you're interested in the UK, U Warwick is good too. I'm applying for their MA in Continental Philosophy). There are definitely other programs, to be sure, but those are pretty "top-notch" continental programs, and they're the only ones I can really think of off the top of my head. 

Haha

Well, the only way you'll get .to study the material you want is to so it yourself. You would most likely be disappointed with a US school.

Studying abroad is hard. Especially at state schools. You can insist that it is what you want, but I don't think you would be happy for it in the end.

We do often have the option to do private reading and research courses directed or supervised by a professor. These credits count toward your degree, help you to build relationships with professors, and give you the freedom to read and study what you want. I took several of these -- and they made my college education worth it.

I am sure Israeli universities offer the same thing.

In the end, it doesn't matter where you study, as long as you can do it well and do it for yourself. It would be earning your phd that would mean the moat to you. THAT is when coming to America would be really advantageous to you.

I am sincere when I say that earning your .BA in the US -- unless it were ivy league -- most likely wouldn't be worth it.

It's not about spirit, it's about him being a crank who goes out of his way to simultaneously say the most insane things possible and try his best to prove, both to himself and to others (though mostly to himself) that he isn't completely ludicrous. 

As for smaller programs, any program that's well ranked will teach the material "the proper way". If you're looking for a toned-down environment, you might want to look at state schools or smaller private institutions, places that have the faculty to support all your interests and aspirations with departments self-aware enough to know that they're not competing with MIT or Princeton. With that in mind, and being aware of your continental interests, I'd suggest programs like Penn State, SUNY Stonybrook, Fordham University, aaaand maybe Loyola University Chicago (if you're interested in the UK, U Warwick is good too. I'm applying for their MA in Continental Philosophy). There are definitely other programs, to be sure, but those are pretty "top-notch" continental programs, and they're the only ones I can really think of off the top of my head. 

Woohahh :D That's a content-full comment, thank you very much! i'll be sure to check it out. And your'e right, i'm looking for "toned-down environment" but also for literally inspiring landscape/environment (preferably green). which of the programs that you mentioned above is "it" to your knowledge?

Haha

Well, the only way you'll get .to study the material you want is to so it yourself. You would most likely be disappointed with a US school.

Studying abroad is hard. Especially at state schools. You can insist that it is what you want, but I don't think you would be happy for it in the end.

We do often have the option to do private reading and research courses directed or supervised by a professor. These credits count toward your degree, help you to build relationships with professors, and give you the freedom to read and study what you want. I took several of these -- and they made my college education worth it.

I am sure Israeli universities offer the same thing.

In the end, it doesn't matter where you study, as long as you can do it well and do it for yourself. It would be earning your phd that would mean the moat to you. THAT is when coming to America would be really advantageous to you.

I am sincere when I say that earning your .BA in the US -- unless it were ivy league -- most likely wouldn't be worth it.

Well, I'm not questioning the fact that you are sincere :-)

I just have different goals to studying abroad, not all of them can be quantified objectively.

PS:  a friend reccomended vancouver (canada) and malborn (austrelia) if you know something about these, please, do tell :)

Edited by Satyr

Vancouver has several universities (UBC, Simon Fraser, Capilano). Both UBC and SFU are very good schools (Capilano is kinda new), although they're larger. Most universities in Canada are on more or less the same level for an UG degree (there's some small variation, but it's nothing like in the US). One of the main differences, however, comes with the size of the school. The Maritime provinces have a number of small liberal-arts universities that focus primarily on student learning and feature small classes (e.g. my upper-level classes averaged about eight students). They're consistently ranked as some of the country's best, although as I said that doesn't mean as much as it does in the US.

If those interest you, have a look at Mount Allison University, Acadia, St. Francis Xavier, King's, St. Mary's University, and St. Thomas University. For larger schools, you could consider McGill (it has a not insignificant Israeli population, and its strong ties to Montréal's Jewish community means scholarship opportunities), Concordia, Dalhousie, Queen's (not much history of philosophy or continental, although I don't think you should worry overmuch about subfields yet), UBC (also not much continental), UAlberta, Calgary, and UOttawa.

Edited by maxhgns