How can I do well on GMAT exam?

moe_us

Hello, 
I just registered for GMAT test three months of now. I want to do well on the exam. Can anyone help me how I should study for GMAT? What books should I use to study for the exam? My adviser when I was in undergrad told me to study from official GMAT guide. What do you guys think? Can you recommend me any study material? I also bought Manhattan GMAT material consist of 12 books 

• 2 weeks later...

I took the GMAT last November. I used Princeton Review's guide and the GMAC-published official guide. I scored well and will not be taking the test again.

The best advice I received when preparing was, "Practice, practice, practice." this was good advice. And I would say that the best type of practice is doing problems with immediate feedback (rather than taking practice tests over and over again). The practice test is useful to diagnose your strengths and weaknesses. Then you can focus on which types of problems to practice. The immediate feedback helps you retain what you did right and what you missed.

The timing of the test is such that it is difficult to retain anything that you are tested on (practice or actual). This is why I suggest a full digestion of as many practice questions as you can, the ones that you can get immediate feedback on after you answer. The official guide published by GMAC is long on these types of questions, and I trust their explanations/rationale.

I spent a total of 40-50 hours to prepare over two months. I started out with large chunks of time a couple of times each week and finished with 30-40 minute sessions (one each day) during the last couple of weeks. Best of luck!

• 4 months later...