Maintaining relationships with POIs during review process?

NOWAYNOHOW

P.S. I've tried getting into video games that I've had to ignore for the last four years. I gave myself wholeheartedly to Skyrim - the game that everyone warned, "I hope you don't have a job or a family before you start," - but I was bored after about a week. I'm just antsy, I think. Maybe once I get this interview out of the way, I'll be able to focus. (Here's hopin'!)

Keep playing! It's such a beautiful and engaging game. I've logged 250+ hours, no jokes. x.x

Keep playing! It's such a beautiful and engaging game. I've logged 250+ hours, no jokes. x.x

Agreed.  Skyrim is amazing.

Also, I've been watching a lot of this: http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/efc/efc_otter/otter_cam.aspx

It brings me inner peace.  You're welcome. 

Well, an update: I did get that scholarship (hurray!) and sent some kind messages and an updated CV to grad/department secretaries.  I've gotten helpful responses from 3/7 so far.  I also sent updates directly to 2 POIs (and one POI in person), because I'm trying very hard to shoot myself in the foot.  Will let you all know if anything comes from this.

I was against the idea of contacting POIs after submitting the application but as time passes by and I hear nothing, I am tempted to do so. What do you think? In fact it could have been better to send a short email right after submitting but now it is very late and all. But maybe he will say you are rejected/accepted etc. so that I will know in advance.

A few thoughts on this.

You will know one way or another eventually. Most results don't come this early. Reaching out now runs the risk of making you look impatient or needy. Just wait - you will find out. There are legitimate reasons for asking the admissions committee how close they are to making a decision - for example if you need to decide based on deadlines for other programs or funding.

But this isn't undergraduate admissions, the PhD application is MUCH close to a job application than a school application. If you wouldn't do it for a job application, don't do it here.

Yeah, I wouldn't have reached out if not for having an update of some (I guess) importance.  My adviser (who is also a POI) told me to tell all my programs, so I did.  But I would be weary of asking otherwise since it is so early in the season. 

Waiting is HARD

Yeah, I wouldn't have reached out if not for having an update of some (I guess) importance.  My adviser (who is also a POI) told me to tell all my programs, so I did.  But I would be weary of asking otherwise since it is so early in the season. 

Waiting is HARD

It *is* hard! I log into gmail and see my POI logged in... I just want to tap out a quick chat. Restraint!!