Comparative Literature at Emory

Guest Margarethe_Popocatépetl

Anybody else getting interviewed?  

Edited by Margarethe_Popocatépetl

Congrats ivandub and the best of lucks in your interview!

Mine is on Monday and, of course, I have compulsively looked at my application papers during this last week.

Did Alian Teach told you which faculty members will interview you? 

Just had my interview. Was way friendlier and more relaxed than the Duke one, and I definitely did better as a result. I was interviewed by Bennington, Robbins, Reed, and Quiroga. They say I should hear something within about ten days. Good luck Margarethe and to anyone else being interviewed!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, and congrats to you too.

I've received one other offer, from Romance Studies at Cornell. I originally applied to Comp Lit there but was instead accepted by Romance Studies. Assuming these are the only two offers I get, it'll be a difficult decision -- there are various advantages to Cornell, but I do have some uncertainty about being defined in that narrower disciplinary area, even though it's true that the Cornell program is quite open and I would be free to take classes in various departments. My two foreign languages are both romance languages, so in that way it makes sense... but I had also anticipated working on Anglophone literature as well. Anyway, it's exciting to have two great offers. I also applied to Duke, Yale and NYU - interviewed with Duke, no news from the other two.

That's great! You already have two incredible offers to consider.

And what a coincidence, for I also applied to Duke, NYU, Cornell, and Yale (and Northwestern). I am assuming an implied rejection from Duke since I wasn't contacted for an interview (let alone Yale which I think is a very long shot for me, but who knows...). On the other hand, I feel kind of optimistic with respect to the rest of my applications (which are nevertheless long shots as well. But then again, who knows...).

Felicitaciones once again!

Hello to the both of you! And congratulations on your acceptances!

I had an interview at Emory as well, but I was waitlisted rather than accepted. It was quite disappointing, as you can imagine. Now, I'm not going to do that thing where the waitlisted person asks the accepted ones to make up their minds as quickly as possible. It's just that I'd been following this thread without adding anything. I thought I might as well say hello.

So congratulations again, and good luck with whatever results are still to come!

Thank you, M Bernard!

And don't give up hope. It might be possible that one of the accepted applicants (7 as far as I know--4 focused on continental philosophy and 3 on literature) decides to go elsewhere.

Good luck to you too with the rest of your applications!