In state vs out of State PHD admission

GroundTurth

I was wondering that too....if there was some kind of policy, they should make that well understood.  But some schools went out of that way to ask "are you a resident, will you be a resident by the time..." etc.  For UConn I even had to print out a residence affidavit, check the "I am not a resident" box, sign it, scan it and upload it.  If you checked the "I am a resident" box you had to list previous addresses or some such.

I suspect it has to do with the subsidy they get from the state to make up the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition.  If they fund you and waive your tuition, they're waiving a larger chunk for out-of-staters because they can't include you in their attendance numbers as granting them a subsidy of 5 or 10k each year, whatever it is.  Whereas if you live in California and apply to UCLA, they can probably waive your tuition but still collect the state subsidy for you.

Americans who attend a public school will usually become resident after one year and will thus qualify for in-state tuition for their subsequent years so you wouldn't think it would make too much of a difference. Internationals never gain residency, however, and this is a definite disadvantage in admissions, especially for UC's if the department is paying tuition.

For some purely anecdotal evidence: in my field, all PhD acceptances come with funding and the department offers to pay your tuition. Late January acceptances happen, but are somewhat rare (most occur in mid-Feb). I applied to twenty schools and have five offers so far: four of them from UC's (I'm a California resident). Make of that what you will I guess!

Not all states allow people who are present simply as a student to become a resident.  I forget which school I applied to, I think it was UW-Madison (??) made it clear that this wouldn't be allowed. 

Often it can be difficult to prove residency, as Universities prefer charging out-of-state tuition, for obvious reasons. I don't think it affects admission, but it does affect financial support, whether the program is willing to cover regular tuition plus the out-of-state tuition. I did have one acceptance letter (Michigan State) where they delineated funding as covering both tuition and out-of-state).

I've heard in order to change your residency, you should start the process on your first month - like changing your bank account to a local bank, etc. Usually you have to show you've been in the state for 12 months to become a resident.

Edited by rbamattre

Often it can be difficult to prove residency, as Universities prefer charging out-of-state tuition, for obvious reasons. I don't think it affects admission, but it does affect financial support, whether the program is willing to cover regular tuition plus the out-of-state tuition. I did have one acceptance letter (Michigan State) where they delineated funding as covering both tuition and out-of-state).

I've heard in order to change your residency, you should start the process on your first month - like changing your bank account to a local bank, etc. Usually you have to show you've been in the state for 12 months to become a resident.

Do people really change their bank accounts?  I've moved so many times and never bothered.  For me, this has never affected residency but this could  vary by school and I guess it's something to look out for!  I never even thought about it.

I do know having a local driver's license, registering your car (if you have one), and registering to vote are things that help establish residency.  Definitely having a local (off-campus?) address, too..

As for how it affects admissions, to echo other posters, I'm not sure it makes a difference.  A few programs I applied to state that you must establish residency ASAP, as they will only fund 1 year of out of state tuition.  After that, the difference is out of your own pocket.

Edited by Munashi

• 1 month later...

In North Carolina, a minimum of 82% of admitted undergrads must be in state. There's no similar requirements for grad students. I took a graduate history course at a well recognised neighbouring institution and was the only person from NC. It did make me a little bitter, but I guess it reflects the renowned quality of the school.

That being said, one of my top schools doesn't allow change in residency during graduate study (you can't become a resident after a year or so) - they say it's "nearly impossible" to change whatever residency status one has when arriving at the University. However, they grant non-resident fee remission for students working at the school more than a 100 or so hours per semester (an amount of hours that nearly every student on a GA or TA will work anyways).