UIC

vaidehi21

I'll be attending the UIC @ the medical district campus. Is this area generally fairly safe? Anyone know if the gym facilities @ this campus are decent? Also, how long does it take on the school shuttle bus to get from east to west campus?

The med district campus is perfectly fine, IMO. During the day there are tons of people moving through the area, many of them students like yourself. When it gets dark out, just use your common sense - i.e. don't go into alleys, stay in lighted areas, keep aware of your surroundings. There certainly are incidents that occur on campus (as at any campus, frankly), but it's nothing I would consider to be an issue. I've walked throughout the med campus in the later evening hours over to the El stop (Polk on the Pink Line or Med District on the Blue Line depending on your location), and have never felt like I was in anything approximating serious danger - but your mileage may vary based on your city-life experiences.

Re: gym facilities . . .I've never had need to use them, but I knew people who did and were reasonably pleased. There's a great and rather new fitness center . . .on the downside for you, you'll find it on east campus. http://imweb.ops.uic.edu/public/rec/facilities_srf.htm lets you take a look at what it offers.

Transportation in the area is VERY good. The shuttle is nice, yes, and will get you to where you're headed within 10-15 minutes, it's basically just a loop around two points. Even better for you is the fact that as a UIC student you'll have a UPass, which gives you unlimited free access to Chicago public transit. And yes, that is every bit as good as it sounds and then some. You might find that depending on where you're headed, taking a bus might just make more sense.

Thanks so much for the information! Looks as though there is also a gym on west campus: http://imweb.ops.uic.edu/public/rec/facilities_sfc.htm

But, given my poor track record in this area, I have a feeling I may never get around to visiting it!

So the area around both the Pink and Blue line stops in the medical district are okay at night? I'm realistic about city living/crime expectations, just wanted to make sure these particular areas are not known for any specific problems.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use