Elliott/SIS/Bush School/UCSD/Monterey

wendol

Hi

I am an international student intending to pursuing an MA in IR. I have received admits from Elliott, SIS, UCSD (no aid), Bush School - Texas A&M (30% aid), and Monterey (40% aid).

Keeping the curriculum and course content aside, since each school has something different to offer my interests, I would welcome any suggestions on choosing one of these.

I am slightly inclined towards,

Elliott: Even without the financial aid!

Texas A&M: Very cheap!

Thanks in advance.

Thanks a lot!

I can't say I am conservative, more like extremely liberal :(

From what I have heard, the people, undergrads might be conservative, but the graduate students and faculty are generally quite liberal. Also, I don't suppose the course would be oriented in a conservative manner. Hopefully :?:

Also, Texas A&M has a considerably diverse international student body. What is it about Texas that everyone seems to hate the place? As an international student, I am quite in the dark about it. And I have taken into account the extreme conservative outlook of people.

Regards

I'd say put maximum weight on faculty and curriculum. Faculty first, then curriculum. It's really hard to tell about curriculum by looking at it. Sometimes course proposals great on paper, but depending on your cohort, the prof teaching it, a course could be a total waste of your time. Faculty is a better bet. If they're interesting to you, if they're engaging in a field within IR that you want to engage in, or if they seem like someone that you could ask very particular questions to that you're interested in, then go for it.

Keep in mind that it is an MA, a short degree. So maybe you'll be in a place that's kind of boring, or a place where we typically imagine is full of "hicks" or something. So? Sometimes it's good to challenge ourselves and our assumptions. And I think it's always interesting to take on people's wack political assumptions rather than just ignore them or categorize them as 'never-talk-to.'

• 4 weeks later...

What criteria are of most importance to you? Maybe list the top 5 aspects that might help you come to a decision. ex.1)diversity 2)desired location, etc.

What is your specific interest within IR?

All of the schools you've mentioned are fantastic! I'm sure you'd be very happy at any of them.

Oh! I forgot about this post totally.

As to interests within IR, since I am from a completely technical (Electronics) field, I have varied interests in IR, none of them explored much. On a personal level, Security studies excites me.

But I understand the importance of the integration of economics and quantitative analysis with an MA in IR. And because I have absolutely no background in Econ, I would prefer to study Econ under an academic environment and also read up on Security issues on my own. Thus probably getting the best of both worlds.

I have been working in the Climate Change industry for around a year now, so that is also an option. Thus, I was always on the lookout for a flexible course.

On a regional basis, since I am Indian, the study of South Asia, extending eastwards and specifically including China are my interests.

IR/PS offered me a 50% scholarship, an irresistible offer. So-Cal here I come!

I don't know about others, but I personally would prefer to attend a flexible course keeping all my options at hand and choosing later on. And the money talks as well, so IR/PS narrowly beats GW.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Cheers.