anyone apply to UIC DrPH program?

snowmo18

I applied.  I also applied last year and was rejected but got useful feedback from Admissions.  They said I made the final cut (top 20% of applicants) but at that time I hadn't finished my MPH yet and a few other areas that ultimately worked against me.  As to timing.... welll.... they weren't very organized.   Only after calling Admissions the last week in March did they tell me I didn't make it.  They said they were in the process of sending out letters.  I kid you not, my rejection letter arrived the first week in June.  So for whatever that is worth- who knows about this year?  I also know that my online status did not indicate any change from pending until May.   Maybe they were holding me out for a possible waitlist?????

Good info. I checked in with admissions in January to make sure they had everything and he said they would give decisions by mid March..so Im crossing my fingers its sooner than later..even if its bad news..I just feel like Im in Limbo

Can I ask how many years experience you have in PHealth?

I finished my MPH 3 years ago and have been working in  "Health" I guess for the last 8-9 years...the last 3 years with the Army Public Health Command as an Epidemiologist.

oh and thanks for lettin gme know I can stop checking the uic application site everyday lol ;)

Edited by snowmo18

Sure.  My career was a bit backwards.  I worked in significant leadership positions for 10 years and then finally went for my MPH.   I graduated the MPH program in the Summer of '13 so the transcripts they saw had only half of my MPH program.   One item of feedback was they wanted to see professional experience applying what was learned in the MPH program.  I feel I did not market myself very well either (in hindsight).  So this year I have been busy with post MPH accomplishments and really focused on the leadership and work experience I have amassed.  And of course they will see a full transcript from my MPH.  It sounds like your experience really fits the profile of what they are looking for!

Good to hear, I think my only down fall is that my 3 years post MPH hasnt really been "upper management"...yea I help new interns learn our data system and the ins and outs of the program..but I wouldnt really say Im management. But I really tried to focus on the accomplishments aspect and that the DrPH would help me greatly in a leadership position....so Im crossing my fingers and I hope this is your lucky year too!

I am anxiously waiting to hear back about the Epi MS, and emailed the admissions assistant director (whom I'd spoken to before) when my SOPHAS app wasn't showing up as completed in the UIC portal. I was given an estimate of hearing back around late February, after submitting the application late January. In previous years it looks like lots of people heard back right in the middle of March, though.

I was told the decision could be by email or mail, but to also check the application portal because "it will update there as soon as the decision is processed by the university." Naturally that means I now check it several times a day.

I am anxiously waiting to hear back about the Epi MS, and emailed the admissions assistant director (whom I'd spoken to before) when my SOPHAS app wasn't showing up as completed in the UIC portal. I was given an estimate of hearing back around late February, after submitting the application late January. In previous years it looks like lots of people heard back right in the middle of March, though.

I was told the decision could be by email or mail, but to also check the application portal because "it will update there as soon as the decision is processed by the university." Naturally that means I now check it several times a day.

HAHA glad Im not the only one checking it multiple times a day...im becoming pretty obsessive about it lol

I relate to the obsession of checking.  I am still guilty.  But based on last year it is none of the above.  In response to my email inquiry on March 25 2013 they told me no.  I called and did get good feedback.  I NEVER got an email and my letter arrived the first week in June.   The portal - I think it may have shown rejection in May.   

Gwen Murphy was who I dealt with primarily last year and she is the one that did provide detailed feedback.  :Last year Brandon Sieglaff was Asst. Director of Admissions and Recruitment.   My plan is to wait until March 17th or so and then do a gentle inquiry as to timing.

so you think it is too early to just send Brandon an short email maybe  " just inquiring in reference to the DrPH program admission decisions and if the program is still on track for making decisions by mid-March..."  ???

They were very nice last year.   Did they ever say on the site that mid-March is when they hope to have everything?   I would just ask about their timeline.   But don't take their response to the bank either based on how things rolled out last year.  I picked March 17 only because I heard (after asking) the decision last year on March 25.   

The Department will make their decisions and then send them to Brandon.   So he relays what the department tells him.  I am probably going right to Gwen who is in the department and will know precisely where things are.

yep I emailed Gwen and she got back to me right away..she said that they were on track for meeting their internal deadline of admisison decisions by the end of next week (march 14)..but she said correspondence could take an additional week to hear back from the school (so I assume that means drafting up emails or letters).. so should hear by March 21st..made me more nervous now..ugh....a tiny part of me was hopeing she had info on my application status

Fingers crossed!  I would love to know.   But I still have  a healthy dose of skepticism based on last year.   I remember vividly laughing out loud when I received the letter in the first week in June.  But let's hope for the best!  And success!

I emailed Brandon this morning and was told it might be another 2-3 weeks for me because it's harder to pin down the timeline for research degrees. He also suggested I check directly with the student coordinator for that program. Just in case anyone else is waiting...

I'm probably going to wait 2 weeks and then email the person he suggested. I'd really like to decline a couple of programs so they can contact anyone who might be on a waitlist, but since they implied that fellowships decisions might still be coming out in March I feel like I need to wait until I either don't get one, or do get into UIC.

Just checked the website this morning and my application now says "deny"....ugh. I emailed Gwen, but I have a feeling it has to do with needing a few more years of management experience. :(  Ill just try again next year

I'm sorry to hear that.  Don't give up!  You sound like you have a lot to offer.   I also checked this morning.and there was a bunch of activity down at the bottom.  Each school I attended showed as being entered apart from SOPHAS application received.  Sort of odd - but apparently they are doing something.    

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got some feedback, yep it was my lack of post mph public health experience...everything else they said was great and a few people mentioned that I was a good writer.  Not sure if I should try reapplying again next year or if I need "several more years" experience

I still haven't heard....emailed Gwen on Monday and hadn't heard back.   They are looking for those with some leadership experience.  I would say reapply in 1-2 years.  If your job doesn't allow added responsibilities then volunteer somewhere like APHA and take on a leadership role.  Then again, don['t take my advice until I know what my status is and get my own feedback :)

Heard this morning that the decision will be viewable within two weeks.  I have no idea how to read that especially since I know a lot of rejections were already released - such as yours Snowmo18.  Maybe I am on an unofficial wait list?  I have started obsessively checking.

I applied to UNC online DrPH also and they are making final decisions today.   They, too, have sent out a bunch of rejections so I am guessing I am in the final cut stage.   I hate the waiting and uncertainty.

I received a decision email from the student coordinator in my division on Wednesday night-- but the portal still hasn't been updated. The email said I've been recommended for admission and I'll get a confirmation from the university as well once they process the decision. I assume that's why the portal is still the same, because they haven't.

I do know that some decisions were delayed because faculty were out of the country (per the student coordinator), but that they met a couple of times this week so decisions should be made soon if they haven't been already. It sounded like masters and doctoral candidates were both affected. Best of luck to everyone!

Yeah - the portal seems somewhat infamous for not always being up to date.   I think you are going to an on-campus MS program for epi?   In any event - the email from Gwen seemed very certain that would be the time period for me to know.  Trying to think of that as positive.... but obsessing on the possibilities of what it could mean  :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Obviously, I'm not very hopeful at this point, but I still have yet to hear anything good, bad or otherwise from this program. Are others still waiting? I emailed both a graduate admission contact as well as the program coordinator (7 days ago) and haven't heard back. Ugh.