Duke Sanford MPP Admitted Thread Fall 2014

Does anyone who's visited or who is currently a student have a better idea of the cohort culture and how tight-knit the community is?

Honestly, that's one of my biggest concerns. I really want a dedicated group of people to be working with. My undergraduate experience was very intense, very nerdy (oh, all right, I went to UChicago), and I enjoyed that aspect a lot. I know graduate school is much different, because everyone has their own lives and families, but I'm still interested in something fairly close knit, with a good amount of common activities or people who are policy wonks. Also, just from hearsay, I don't have the best impressions of Duke's undergraduate population. It's not a make-or-break for me, but I think it's just about having a more comfortable environment, and that certainly matters. Thoughts? 

Our first-year cohort is relaxed and close. Weekend happenings -- basketball games, hikes, birthday celebrations, downtown excursions, etc -- are openly advertised on the Facebook group every week, and everyone feels comfortable partaking. Rarely does a weekend go by where I, an extreme introvert, don't find something fun to do with my classmates, both first-years and second-years alike. I'll also testify that the heavy levels of group work here ensure that you get comfortable with all your classmates. 

It's true that Duke undergrads have a tough reputation. As MPPs, though, we aren't an elitist bunch. Think instead smart, capable people who are hungry for a more interesting, impactful career.

​mppbluedevil14:

How helpful was Duke's career services office in helping you find an internship?

State is pretty much my number one pick for where I'd want to end up for the summer so it's good to hear that so many Duke people ended up there. I'm even considering taking the FSOT next year to see if I can get onto their list before I graduate since I hear wait times to get picked up for the foreign service are generally close to 12 months after you pass your oral exam.

Also, do you think language skills were a big factor in the selections for state internships? I'm hoping to take classes in Farsi, Turkish, or Arabic while at Duke if possible but I'll still be at a basic level by next summer (although I might get 1 on 1 tutoring in Turkish from a friend this summer). 

Thanks,

TimB: Ditto with what Dukempp1 wrote.  Duke can help you get your foot in the door with State.  I visit Carmella and Donna for career advice, and both are super helpful.  Carmella really knows State well, so she can help with reviewing your essays for the application.  

I'm actually going through the Foreign service application right now (along with two other first-year students).  I think three more first-years are going to take the test in June.  I totally agree that you want to take the test as soon as possible.  Knowing languages definitely helps once you pass.  It's not easy working foreign language classes into a full grad course load, but it is doable.  The students Dukempp1 mentioned are intent on working in international development, and they've positioned themselves well with their language training, quant-heavy coursework, and teaching and research assistantships.  Sanford strikes a good balance between a providing a structured core and allowing students to tailor their studies according to their interests.  

Hope this helps!  If you have any more questions, feel free to shoot them our way!

Hi! I was accepted to Duke's MPP program for Fall 2014 and am an active duty Air Force officer. I am looking into a Reserve position in North Carolina and they need me to be there one weekday a week. Does anyone know if this is possible? Not sure how Sanford arranges their classes or how much freedom you have in your first year. Any guidance/words of advice are very much appreciated!

Hi! I was accepted to Duke's MPP program for Fall 2014 and am an active duty Air Force officer. I am looking into a Reserve position in North Carolina and they need me to be there one weekday a week. Does anyone know if this is possible? Not sure how Sanford arranges their classes or how much freedom you have in your first year. Any guidance/words of advice are very much appreciated!

Makalani: Sanford usually doesn't have classes on Friday.  Or at least that is what I've been told.  I don't have classes on Monday or Friday this semester, but I had classes Monday-Friday last semester.  First semester tends to require more class time, so it's hard to say with absolute certainty what the schedule will look like next fall.  We will know the fall schedule towards the end of the month.  

I know a first-year student who is active duty military.  The army required him to finish his program in a year and a half, and Sanford is working with him so that he can graduate early.  That's a different situation, but Duke tries to work with students who have extenuating circumstances, especially when it comes to the military.  I'd recommend shooting Duke's admissions team an email.  Also feel free to PM me, and I can try to get an answer for you.

• 4 weeks later...

@TimB, thank you for the info! I visited GW, U of Maryland, and Georgetown recently, and I just wish cost were not an issue. Georgetown seems like the best but I'd most likely have to pay full price there. GW seems like the second best, but the funding there is basically a "maybe." U of Maryland seems to have as great of professors as the other two, but the caliber of the students seems lower, so that's a concern of mine. I'm just conflicted because I was offered very close to a full ride at Maryland.