NC State, Purdue, of Toronto?

Hello Everyone!

First of all, to all those waiting to hear back, keep your hopes up! Otherwise, congrats to those who have received offers thus far. 

So I got into NC State, Purdue, and most likely Toronto (no official decision yet) for the PhD programs in Statistics. I feel quite lucky, but I am having a hard time trying to figure out where to go. 

About me: I am a slightly older student (26) looking to focus on statistical genetics research. I suppose I am tending towards industry as opposed to academia, though I feel I could do something Biostats related in academia if I really worked at it (I think I am just a bit put off from academia seeing as it is extremely competitive nowadays and don't know that I want to move 3 times in the next 8 years going from phd to post doc to assistant professorship). I was nominated for a fellowship at Purdue so no TA work and extra cash, and got basic funding from NC State, with TA work ( and probably the same for Toronto). 

Would the Grad Cafe mind weighing in on my options? Either a quick, gut response answer, or a more informed, personal-experience laden, answer would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I can't speak for Toronto, but NC State and Purdue would both be equally good at placing you for industry after graduation. I think over 60 percent of NC State grads go into industry, possibly due to its location in the Triangle Region (where you have IBM, GlaxoSmithKline, SAS Institute, etc.). So NC State is definitely a good choice for industry, but Purdue is also highly reputed and would give you great opportunities.

Edited by Applied Math to Stat

Yes, the research triangle is definitely an appealing aspect of NC State. I would just like to clarify that by working in industry, I would like to do something Research & Development related, as opposed to being a programmer at SAS. I think that for these more academically oriented industry positions, research and publication record is very important. Does anyone have any experience or input about the quality of advising at NC State or Purdue?

Thank you for your honesty! NC State does seem like it would have a great statistics community. And it is warm. 

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with Purdue? 

• 1 year later...

I too would like to have more information on Purdue stat department. I would like to stay in academia and I am more inclined towards theoretical work. 

I have got offers from both NCSU and Purdue, and am really confused. I have heard that Purdue stat department is way past its golden days and is struggling of now. Which one do you think is better? 

What are my postdoc prospects if I get into any of  these departments? 

• 1 year later...