Can't decide: Northwestern vs UT Austin for EE PhD

bremsen12

Hi all,

Like the title says, I am pretty torn between these two schools.

I visited both this month and the time spent there was too short to actually get a feel for the environment. Both are giving me a fellowship for the first year. Both have a professor interested me and they are doing research I really like.

I have lived in Chicago most of my life and currently at UIUC as an undergrad, so I could totally get used to some warm weather. However, I've never been too far from my family. 

Which would you choose if your were in my situation? I would like to work in industry after the PhD. 

Thanks in advance for your answers.

UT Austin:

higher ranking, more prestige nationwide. Much cheaper tuition,

Austin warmer, vibrant tech startup community, has AMD, Samsung, Intel, facebook, Apple. cost of living lower than chicago

UT-Austin (anytime) for EE as compared to Northwestern. Since your undergrad is from UIUC, I fear why didn't you apply there ;)

Thanks for the responses guys!

UT-Austin (anytime) for EE as compared to Northwestern. Since your undergrad is from UIUC, I fear why didn't you apply there ;)

I did apply to UIUC and I got accepted. However, I really want a change in environment as I have been doing research at UIUC for quite some time.. Also, they are giving me a TA where as other schools are giving me fellowships and guaranteed funding for up to 4 years. 

Forgot to mention Dell, headquarters here in Austin and founded by UT alumnus.

I felt Northwestern doesn't have much prestige outside of Chicago. I'm from Calif and lived in Austin for a while. I don't think people talk about Northwestern at all.

At this point, I am leading towards UT-Austin more mainly because of more interesting research.

Northwestern has stepped up their game--besides the fellowship and relocation cost, they are offering me a pretty large one-time bonus for clicking "Accept." This makes the decision slightly more difficult. 

The research is interesting in both institutions but it seems that Austin has many tech companies. How strongly does this fact effect me as a graduate student? For example, UIUC is in the middle of nowhere but many students come here for ECE and find jobs all over the country. 

Thanks in advance. 

I went to Northwestern for undergrad and LOVED it! Tech(where you would most likely be working) is gorgeous and has a great environment. I don't know a lot about EE jobs but during college I worked for a few different tech companies so I don't think there is a huge lack of potential tech jobs or internship in Chicago. In addition there are even a few groups dedicated to connecting tech companies with the right work force that you could probably get in touch with.  

Maybe in California NU isn't well known but I currently live outside of Chicago and whenever I mention NU people are impressed. The only time I have ever had people not know Northwestern was when I visited Boston and people occasionally mixed up Northwestern and Northeastern, which is understandable. If name recognition is a concern I really couldn't imagine that being a problem with Northwestern although I am obviously a little biased. 

Edited by Etownenviro