MA English - unranked school

sveera13

Hello everyone,

So, I've applied to various PhD programs in English. Given that my undergraduate major is in Physics, I did not get into any PhD program. However, I got into a few MA English ones, including U of Chicago (MAPH program), George Washington U. etc. Unfortunately, I got funding only from an unranked program, which offers only a terminal MA . I'm hesitating to accept that school's offer because I'm worried that going for an MA in an unranked program will decrease my chances of getting into a good PhD program. Yet, I'm not sure I want to take on a loan to fund myself through, say, U of Chicago's program. 

I was wondering what are your thoughts on the importance of ranking for an MA program? Also, in your experience, is it worth it to take a loan for a Master's degree when you would go on to a PhD afterward (i.e., will not be earning money right after the end of the MA)?

Thank you!

Edited by sveera13

If you're planning on going on to a PhD program somewhere, it might make sense to take the offer with funding, as long as you feel the program will give you a quality education and a better chance at a PhD - like you said, it may just be that a MA in the same field will make you a more competitive applicant to top programs. I'm not sure what ranking you're looking at in your field, but there's often more to a program than the larger ranking - are the faculty well-published or well-regarded within the field? Perhaps you can inquire to see what MA graduates from that program go on to do - and what schools they get into.

Paying for your own MA at a well ranked program doesn't guarantee entrance into the PhD program, so it's kind of a gamble. I'm not sure about English, but in my field MA funding is quite rare.

Edited by rbamattre

With things being as unpredictable as they are in this grad school game, I can't tell you for sure what will happen. However, I will mention that I will be getting my MA in English this May from an unranked university, and I've been accepted to a school in the Top 20s to begin working toward my PhD in the fall. My MA program also provided me with funding and, ultimately, a great wealth of resources and experiences that allowed me to really understand what I want to focus on.

ETA: I did take out some loans during this MA program so that I would have additional funds for living expenses, but I don't plan to take out any additional loans in the future.

Edited by toasterazzi

Because your undergrad degree is in physics, you are probably going to have to do an MA in order to get into a PhD program.

If you're sold on going to grad school right now, I'd definitely take the funded unranked MA over the unfunded MAPH.

However, you seem a little ambivalent about your program. If you're not enthusiastic about it, don't go. You might reapply next year, casting a wider net at funded MA programs. I don't know if the prestige of an MA makes a great deal of different in PhD admissions (to be honest, I don't think that there are a lot of funded MAs out there these days that fit the bill of "prestigious"), but you might find it helpful to have professors who are more recognized in their field (not just for LORs, but also for the purposes of putting together a more compelling application). Funded MA programs are dying off, but there are still a lot of ranked R1 schools that offer funded MAs.  

Thank you all very much for your advice! You have all given me different perspectives about going into a funded MA vs unfunded MA. I am now also leaning towards the funded MA. And congratulations Toasterazzi! I'm glad it all worked out for you!

I'm coming from an unranked undergrad to great PhD offers in my field. I wouldn't stress much with ranking if you stand out from the crowd and make sure to be on the top of your game at the unranked program. It might actually help your phd apps because if you are good at an unranked school, the professors there will likely give you good recommendations putting you on the top of your class...

That is just from my perspective. I like to think that grad school is a job, so paying to work doesn't make much sense for me. I'd take the funded school and make sure to be the best student of that department. That will give u an edge for your phd apps.

Congratulations and best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I received my MA from an unranked school where all they had was a terminal MA. I made sure to go into PhD apps with eyes open regarding this, but I was still able to swing a decent acceptance.

In my humble opinion, if it seems like a good fit for you, you'll get out of it what you put into it. If the faculty see that you are motivated and serious, they will likely queue to help you reach your potential. Personally, I think I needed the unranked MA to be able to develop the skill-sets needed in order to even consider applying to doctoral programs (as I came from a relatively strong, but completely unknown (and very SMALL) liberal arts school for undergrad.

In my home state, I've only heard of one major school just outright rejecting students who came from my MA program, but I have no proof of this and I don't know if it actually happens.

My advice agrees completely with that of EngineerGrad's - you'll stand out more being a serious student at an unranked school if you work your tail off and do great work while developing strong professional relationships with a few professors.