Penn Fels

mbrapp89

I got accepted too. Very excited, but still deciding if I want to go MPA or MBA route.

What inspired you to make your decision? What are you hoping to do after graduation? I'm hoping to get into government consulting, so I'm wondering if Fels would be a  good fit for that. (Orgs like Deloitte, Public Financial Management group which they seem to have ties to. At least according to the Fels website)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am going to Fels as well, would it be possible to connect on email to discuss some stuff? (Am an international student, also about to turn down Columbia and it hurts like hell!) Do mail me at rpokharna@gmail.com as I don't check the forum updates often! Looking forward to connecting!

PS: Have you found more people going to Fels? I have had a tough time connecting on FB (Columbia has a group where around 150 SIPA students have already connected to discuss possible funding options etc) Would be good to do the same!

Renu

I got accepted too. Very excited, but still deciding if I want to go MPA or MBA route.

What inspired you to make your decision? What are you hoping to do after graduation? I'm hoping to get into government consulting, so I'm wondering if Fels would be a  good fit for that. (Orgs like Deloitte, Public Financial Management group which they seem to have ties to. At least according to the Fels website)

What did you end up deciding?

I want to be in the public and/or nonprofit sectors, and so for me, I never had to make this decision. My interest is in local/municipal government and Penn gives me a great platform for that. Being from Jersey, I want to stay in the Northeast, and Fels is within reasonable distance of four different state capitals (Trenton, Harrisburg, Annapolis, Dover) and four major cities (New York, Philadelphia, DC, Baltimore).

I can't really speak to this field, as I have no background as a consultant, nor do I know anyone who does. I don't know if companies like Deloitte are more likely to target MBAs for something like that; but I'm sure at this point you've done your research. Although I will say that I don't think Ivy programs are in the business of providing education and awarding degrees that do anything short of putting alumni in the best possible positions for success. 

Good luck with your decision if you haven't already made it. Hope Fels, or at least Penn, is still on your radar!