Degree with Universal title or specific title? Please take a look!

lnguye61

Hi all!

After lurking in this forum for months looking at all the tips and utilizing it in my own journey to getting into Grad school, I've finally got some acceptance letters! I want to pursue a Master in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, the business side of psychology. Anywhoo, I got accepted into Hofstra Master of I/O Psych program and Rutgers' Master of Human Resource Management. Just some clarification, I/O graduate practitioners work as HR, consultants, training development, etc. Which is exactly what I'm going for as my future career. I'm leaning towards Rutgers more so than Hofstra, however, the title of my would-be Degree from Rutgers is as stated above, versus the more universal and versatile of title of Hofstra's program.

I'm just wondering if the specific title of Rutgers' program would handicapped me in anyway? Compare to Hofstra's title, where you can sort of do more with it. 

Any thoughts and advice would be helpful!

Thank you so much!!

I was given to understand that degree titles didn't matter so much as your actual skill set in the real world. Then again, I'm also told employers would take a shine to my undergrad degree title because it "sounds smart". I mean, sure, an employer could look at the degree title and think "well this sounds like a better fit for the job" as opposed to not (especially considering the degree title sounds more relevant), but I find it more likely they'd at least take a look at the rest of your application (and a lot of good that title would do you if your credentials don't seem up to par). And if they did judge you solely on the specific title of your degree instead of things that are easily more relevant, would you really want to work for someone with such a massive oversight?

Any idea which program is more suited to your goals/more well known? I mean if the degree title does actually correlate to what you want to do (i.e. if the versatility in the title implies a more comprehensive program), then sure, I'd go there. But I wouldn't put so much weight on a name.

What's in a name? That which we call a masters in I/O psychology

by any other name is just as skilled.

Hi all!

After lurking in this forum for months looking at all the tips and utilizing it in my own journey to getting into Grad school, I've finally got some acceptance letters! I want to pursue a Master in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, the business side of psychology. Anywhoo, I got accepted into Hofstra Master of I/O Psych program and Rutgers' Master of Human Resource Management. Just some clarification, I/O graduate practitioners work as HR, consultants, training development, etc. Which is exactly what I'm going for as my future career. I'm leaning towards Rutgers more so than Hofstra, however, the title of my would-be Degree from Rutgers is as stated above, versus the more universal and versatile of title of Hofstra's program.

I'm just wondering if the specific title of Rutgers' program would handicapped me in anyway? Compare to Hofstra's title, where you can sort of do more with it. 

Any thoughts and advice would be helpful!

Thank you so much!!

I am in the same boat. I want to go into IO and work as a consultant. I got accepted to a doctoral in Applied Psych with a specialization option in IO, and  I got into 3 IO masters and am wait listed at 2 IO doctoral program. I am learning toward taking the Applied offer,  but I want to make sure that can transition into a consulting job

Check in with each department about their alumni placement record/what kinds of jobs alumni tend to get after completing their degrees at each place.  This might help you figure out which program will be best suited to helping you reach your goals further down the road.