Concordia Economics.

Caekster

Hey, I was recently admitted into the PhD program at Concordia University, in Canada. The university is not exactly a top tier university, but it does have a lot of good things going for it, mainly that it's in Montreal and that they have a great deal of cooperation with other universities in Montreal, especially in Economics as well as other research centers in Canada.

I didn't really apply to many places, and this is one of the acceptances I got and the only one in North America. 

Would love some advice on whether I should accept it or not.

Hey, I completed by BA in economics in Canada and will be continuing on to an MA in economics in Canada. I've been researching schools as I get closer to applying for my PHD in Canada. The advice I was given by one reference was it depends on what you plan to do. If you would like to work for the government (Bank of Canada, Ministry of Finance, Stats Canada), a PHD from a mid-tier school is good. However, if you plan on going into academia, my reference recommended only the top tier schools in Canada (and top US schools).

I agree that it really depends on what you would like to achieve. A Phd is a big commitment and you should have a clear idea of why you want to go before accepting an offer.

Hey, I completed by BA in economics in Canada and will be continuing on to an MA in economics in Canada. I've been researching schools as I get closer to applying for my PHD in Canada. The advice I was given by one reference was it depends on what you plan to do. If you would like to work for the government (Bank of Canada, Ministry of Finance, Stats Canada), a PHD from a mid-tier school is good. However, if you plan on going into academia, my reference recommended only the top tier schools in Canada (and top US schools).

I agree that it really depends on what you would like to achieve. A Phd is a big commitment and you should have a clear idea of why you want to go before accepting an offer.

Thank you for your reply. 

Honestly I'm looking to work in Academia. I just have one more question concerning that topic. I know that perhaps my chances of working at top universities are actually better if I get a PhD from a top university in the first place, however I was just wondering with a PhD from Concordia what are my chances at working at good schools (I don't mean Harvard or Princeton or even UofT or McGill, but rather schools like McMaster, Queen's uOttawa even Concordia for that matter or other universities in the states along that line.

Sorry to bother you and if I could get an answer that would be great.

Concordia's star is on the rise, and there's lots of great resources and people there. I've found the level of students discussion to be a bit lacking, but you can always take classes at McGill. Concordia offers more support than most schools, but you may lack for a particularly stimulating community.