• Iowa
    • New School
    • Utah
    • Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
    • DePaul
    • Hawaii
    • St. Louis
    • Fordham

Please be honest and tell me if you are sick of my polls, but this one is just for fun. Vote for the strongest non PGR department, and please recommend via comments for me to add others if necessary, and withhold your vote until I have added it.

This is an awesome poll, even if just for kicks. Also, I voted for Oklahoma!! 

You think Baylor *would* be ranked in the Top 50 US departments? 

Yes, I think so. They apparently requested not to be included because they would've been ranked outside the top 30---or so I've been told. They apparently didn't want to be included unless they were ranked toward the top.   

Yes, I think so. They apparently requested not to be included because they would've been ranked outside the top 30---or so I've been told. They apparently didn't want to be included unless they were ranked toward the top.   

Thats some BS lol. They probably suffered for that, as being 30-50 is perfectly fine. Maybe they weren't going to be ranked anyway, I don't really see why they would.

Edited by TheVineyard

Thats some BS lol. They probably suffered for that, as being 30-50 is perfectly fine. Maybe they weren't going to be ranked anyway, I don't really see why they would.

I'm not exactly sure why either, but I've been told they requested to be left off unless they were ranked high. They seem to be doing fine, though, with getting the students they want. 

I'm also skeptical that they would be ranked. Anyone notice this statement on their faculty page?:

"The information provided here, as well as subsequent daughter pages, is presented with the intention of providing a resource for those interested in contacting our faculty. Appropriate action will be taken against those who misuse this information."

Seems pretty clearly to be in reference to rankings like Leiter's...

I doubt they have any right (moral or legal) to control public information in this way, but regardless, having such an obvious (it's in bold at the top of the page, not in fine print at the bottom) but also confusingly vague threat of legal action on your faculty page seems like a terrible idea.

I was told that they requested not be ranked this go-around, but my understanding was that they feel as a young department they are still improving and allocating resources for new professors. I wouldn't be surprised if they are evaluated next go-around. Though I no idea of where they would rank.  

I don't think they did (or could) say if we're not ranked in the top whatever then leave us out, but instead simply asked not to be evaluated yet.

I was told that they requested not be ranked this go-around, but my understanding was that they feel as a young department they are still improving and allocating resources for new professors. I wouldn't be surprised if they are evaluated next go-around. Though I no idea of where they would rank.  

I don't think they did (or could) say if we're not ranked in the top whatever then leave us out, but instead simply asked not to be evaluated yet.

Yes, that might be a more accurate account of the situation. I was going off hearsay from over a year ago. 

my understanding was that they feel as a young department they are still improving and allocating resources for new professors 

I never knew Baylor even had a PhD program until I saw this thread. When I checked it out, however, I was astonished by the department's gender imbalance.

EDIT: Also, their faculty have super-religious interests. I guess that's normal for that kind of place, but... wow.

Edited by maxhgns

I never knew Baylor even had a PhD program until I saw this thread. When I checked it out, however, I was astonished by the department's gender imbalance.

EDIT: Also, their faculty have super-religious interests. I guess that's normal for that kind of place, but... wow.

Why should women be ordained or be professors when God and Jesus themselves are men? Checkmate, women.

Edited by Establishment

Baylor hired a female epistemologist who (I think) will start this Fall. She's a recent SLU grad who held a year or so Post-Doc at Oxford. 

I can't really imagine anything more incompatible than fundamentalist religion and philosophical epistemology lol

I can't really imagine anything more incompatible than fundamentalist religion and philosophical epistemology lol

Really? Does the name Alvin Plantinga mean nothing to you? Haha, sorry, but there are a lot of religious epistemologists, a lot of whom produce good work. And some who don't. Just like normal fields.

I don't understand all the religion bashing on here. It's both irrelevant to the topic and completely baseless. Baylor's faculty includes some excellent faculty members whose work should be judged independently of their other commitments, religious or otherwise. And if you're going to make fun of religiously inclined individuals, at least make sure you're funny about it.  

Edited by Wait For It...

I don't understand all the religion bashing on here. It's both irrelevant to the topic and completely baseless. Baylor's faculty includes some excellent faculty members whose work should be judged independently of their other commitments, religious or otherwise. And if you're going to make fun of religiously inclined individuals, at least make sure you're funny about it.  

Thankfully it's not that bad. Nobody has called you a fundie, yet, funDIE.

(I feel like I need to be clear this is satire.) I'm honestly concerned too, a lot of religious people make good philosophers, including two of my professors I had at my undergrad who I am immensely indebted too.

While I'm religious in a way, it is certainly not in a fundamentalist way, and I would have been quite happy to have studied at Baylor (had they accepted me :( ). Pruss and Evans are top-notch philosophers, in my opinion.

Edited by dgswaim

Thankfully it's not that bad. Nobody has called you a fundie, yet, funDIE.

(I feel like I need to be clear this is satire.) I'm honestly concerned too, a lot of religious people make good philosophers, including two of my professors I had at my undergrad who I am immensely indebted too.

Yes, it's not as bad as it could be. But I just don't understand the need to go around trying to put other people (or schools) down. There are many people (or worldviews) with whom I disagree but I neither want nor need to  make pithy, negative statements about them. I usually find that I'm inclined to put others down for their beliefs only if I'm feeling insecure myself.

That said, if someone has a good objection and wants to go about things in a serious manner, go ahead. That's philosophy (though it would still be entirely irrelevant to this site and suited more for PM).  

Edited by Wait For It...