Advice on Grad School-Interesting Situation

Hi all,

I'm in an interesting situation and I need some advice. I was accepted into a master's degree from my top choice school with some funding, but I would have had to go into a lot of debt. I was also accepted into a really good school for a PhD program that is fully funded. Ultimately, I want to get my PhD, but I think I made the wrong decision. I accepted the PhD program because of the money, but I don't think I'll be happy there. I want to call my top choice school back and see if they'll give me my spot back and then I can apply to their PhD later. I really really want to go to this school, but I don't know what to do. Should I call them, or should I stick around at this PhD program and transfer later? I know that is hard to do, though. Any advice??

I don't know the details about your situation, but if I had to choose between a fully funded PhD and a somewhat funded Masters, I would have made the same choice. The alternative is to get in debt studying for a Masters with no guarantee that you'll get into the PhD program (or get funded)? If you're in a Masters/PhD situation at the really good school, why not stick around and get the Masters, and see if you like it or have potential to do the research you want to do there - and if you don't, transfer or reapply elsewhere?

I think you might just be experiencing post-decision anxiety, which is completely normal. In retrospect, I chose the best program (best funding, best faculty, great school), but it wasn't my top choice either - but looking at it, I made the right choice, but still it doesn't prevent me from thinking about "what if" scenarios. Sometimes, honestly, the school you didn't get into, or get fully funded, has an appealing factor because it's just barely unreachable, just undoable. I have a feeling whatever program you choose, there's always the feeling that doors are closing elsewhere - maybe a "grass is always greener on the other side" bias.

Edited by bakalamba

I agree with bakalamba. You made the initial decision for a reason--probably one that was very well thought out. I was obsessed with going to my #1 school, but then changed my mind because my #2 made a much better offer. I tried everything to get school #1 to come back and give something similar, but in the end they couldn't and I stuck with my decision to go to school #2.

Now that I've accepted it and started looking at apartments, classes, joined the fb group, etc. I am very happy and content with the decision. In the long run you should go with the funded PHD. While money isn't everything in these decisions, the PHD vs masters is a big deal.

My question would be: why did you apply to a program that you won't be very happy with? What about it makes you not happy? You don't give enough information, really. But, the Master's school received your rejection, looked up the person at the top of their waitlist, and offered your place to them. They may not have it filled, so you can try, but don't hold your breath.

You make no mention of your choice of studies. If you're studying literature or philosophy or history or something, I'd say you'd be a serious idiot to get deep into debt for a masters when you can get a fully funded PhD. This is not to say that people getting a humanities doctorate can't get well paying jobs, in or out of academia, but it does say that the difficulties are enough that funding should be a primary consideration.

You cannot get out of student loan debt. If you do not pay it because you cannot afford it, they will take it from you through things such as wage garnishment. Well, maybe if you moved to a non-extradition treaty country that has no real fiscal ties to the US. Before you make any decisions, find out the entry level pay people in your field with the degree you want will get. Do not tack on extra cash because it might be from Harvard rather than Podunk U. That doesn't always pan out. Use calculators at http://www.finaid.org/calculators/ to find out whether or not you can actually afford to go to your pay-through-the-nose dream school to begin with.