Best Schools in NYC (for Art)?

SPelansky5

Well, Columbia is great, but really expensive. SVA also has some pretty good work coming out of there, but still kind of pricey... I think Hunter is highly under rated (US news) It is a great program, studios right in the middle of NY and for the price, it is really hard to beat. The biggest downside that I see is that the program is pretty big and can feel a bit impersonal. If I had it to do again, I wish I would have applied to Hunter. I do not know much about Parson's, but for painting/drawing... there are better places to go.

Take a look at work coming out of the school and look at the faculty... I am sure you will find where you fit best, which is really the most important thing.

To be honest, I don't know much about the individual programs, but I do know that they all have galleries and around this time of the year are exhibiting student work. I would suggest you check them out. Also, I know many FIT professors personally, and they have all been very helpful to me in the past, when I have asked for assistance with my undergraduate education. (Not that helpfulness is indicative of skill though... but just my 2 cents.)

I agree with jkroman. Columbia is pricey but you get what you pay for. Famous faculty, the best studios, serious kids. I've gone to open studios and seen some of the work in GOOD chelsea galleries a year later. As disgusting as it is, having the name on your cv will benefit you in the long run. It really is on a separate tier than all the other programs in the city.

I'd say Hunter is a close second. Huge studios, though the building is a little run down (but who cares about a leak here or there). The ability to go part time for 3 years, which is great since you'll have studio for next to nothing. They have some really great people drop by too. I've seen Roberta Smith talk there, I think Fred Tomaselli was speaking this year. It's also the best deal in New York price wise. Ive seen some the grads get picked up by younger galleries right away. There are also a bunch of people you graduate and don't end up showing. It is a big program though.

SVA has a great location, but the studios are really small. Also in the same building as the undergrad. I know they have Jerry Saltz doing visits now which is a plus. I think SVA has strong background in Illustration as opposed to fine arts. A good amount of big names have also come out too. Though this might be irrelevant it is worth saying that SVA does have an amazing continuing ed program. Great facilities with a lot of classes. If your interested in trying out a new medium and need some studio space its the cheapest and well equipped program in NYC. I've taken a few.

I know Pratt is bit better for Sculpture and Computer Graphics, but its out in brooklyn so it doesn't get as much attention. Ive heard the kids gets robbed a lot to. Consider it a taste of real new york.

Don't know jack about parsons, its part of the New School which is a conglomerate of colleges.

I'd say FIT is only for fashion, don't bother if you want to do anything else besides.

NYU is trying to juice up its program, which is relatively unknown. I think Kiki Smith is teaching there now.

If you are serious about having a career in the fine arts don't bother with he NY Studio School.

It should be known that my interests are in Painting/Drawing so thats the basis of how I've evaluated these programs. The best way to get a sense of the schools is to do open studios. The quality of work speaks for itself in some regard. Also taking a tour on an off day gives you chance to really feel out the nuts and bolts of the program. I think its the right thing to look at schools in new york. RISD, VCU, MICA are all awesome program. Your work would benefit ten fold, but once you graduate and want to jump start your career by moving to NYC your still somewhat starting from scratch connection wise.

• 5 years later...

There are a number of art classes and schools available in NYC. Make use of a local directory like Yelp, Local.com, CitySearch and more to find the best school around your location. They provide big list with reviews and rating so it will be easy for you to select the best one from the list for you.