Advice for talking to potential advisors at PhD programs

nutella

Hello all, 

I will be having several phone conversations with faculty members from PhD programs I'm interested in applying to.  I don't like talking on the phone and am incredibly nervous. Do you have any suggestions on what questions I should ask or how I approach getting to know the professor and vice versa?

Thanks! 

It's always good to check on what their current research involves, particularly any working groups/grants/community outreach initiatives. Do as much research in advance, and then sort of fact-check what you've been able to find online with what they say they're actually doing. Ask about the intricacies of the program's structure, its resources (collections, museums, satellite campuses, etc.), and activities (lecture series, journals, etc.). It's also valuable to raise more pragmatic questions- what's the average time to completion? what funding opportunities are available within the department, or through your professor? what sort of TA/RA load would be expected?

Also- use pen and paper, my friend. Write out questions/talk points in advance, and take notes during the conversation. It will help keep you focused, and provides a bit of a social buffer between you and the stranger on the other end of the phone.

I would say make sure you don't ask them anything you could get from the website or the dept administrator (to whom you should direct all questions about the nuts and bolts of the programs, because they are the ones who really know what's going on). Not only will such questions--I, for example, would not ask them about TA/RA load--annoy them but they probably won't even know the answers to the more technical ones. Make sure you read their latest work and read about what they're up to next, and ask them what directions their work is taking. Describe your interests and ask them if they think it'll be a good fit. Ask them if they have questions for you (some will; some won't). Ask them about what kind of work their current students are doing. Ask them anything that'll help you make a decision and show that you're smart and interested. It's not easy--I always found this the weirdest part of the process--but try to make a good impression. 

I second condivi's advice -- questions about the program's structure and resources, as well as more pragmatic questions about teaching load, etc... can mostly be answered by the department's website... don't ask the faculty member about these.

Even more important than being prepared to ask the faculty member what she/he is up to next... Be very prepared to speak confidently and concisely about your own research interests and investments. The goal is to have a frank and smart discussion about the potential fit... with the hope (if it is indeed the right fit) of getting the faculty member excited about the possibility of taking you on as a student.

Asking about the faculty member's current students/recent grads is also a good idea... even better, look here first: http://www.caareviews.org/dissertations (not necessarily a comprehensive list) and the department's website to get an idea of what current students are working on.