Best approach to asking a professor for a letter?

My adviser always told me that email is a deceiving thing. This is why I refused to email my professor for a letter of recommendation. My adviser encouraged me to visit my professors during their office hours and ask them. At the same time, most of the professors where I did my MA don't respond to email. It's actually a bit embarrassing.

What's the best approach?

This is something that varies depending on the person you are talking with. It sounds like you already know what your professor prefers, so go with that! For most of my professors, I used email to set up a meeting where I said I would be asking for grad school advice and then I ask them for a LOR during the meeting. 

This is something that varies depending on the person you are talking with. It sounds like you already know what your professor prefers, so go with that! For most of my professors, I used email to set up a meeting where I said I would be asking for grad school advice and then I ask them for a LOR during the meeting.

I would have loved that. It's just the professors at my school are so difficult to reach by email. It's better for me to visit them during office hours. I just wasn't sure if I needed a different approach. Many others would have done differently.