Reapplying for Phd programs to start BEFORE completing MA

Yellow#5

I am facing the old "MA for pay" dillema, so I thought I'd explore an alternative to paying the whole way on this board. An MA is generally considered a "good prep" for the PhD, but often doesn't help you finish anymore quickly. So, would it be terrible to accept admission to an MA that is flexible, allows a student to graduate in 2 years, but reapply to PhD programs again this fall, then drop out of the MA before completing it if a PhD spot comes through?

There are a few reasons I'm inclined to try this 1. I already have applications on file, and I could re-activate them just by paying the application fee. 2. I felt that I was pretty close to being admitted to a few of these programs and last year was quite a tough year. 3. I've heard an application might be viewed in a slightly better light at some schools if you re-apply.

So, will I burn a bridge at my MA institution that will haunt me forever?

I was always under the impression that you need to significantly improve your application, not just re-submit it the following year to have a legitimate shot at gaining acceptance at a school you were previously rejected from.

You said the MA program is 'flexible' but at the same time ask the question about burning bridges. So which is it? Either they care or they don't. My guess is that they probably would care unless it is a continuing education Masters degree (example, the 'Masters in Writing' from Hopkins) where the classes are at night and they don't really care about your timetable since it is just a supplement to the job you already have.

I agree with the first reply, applying in the 09-10 cycle won't amount to a significant change. Getting an MA would be a significant change, though.

They are flexible, in that they don't require graduation in one year. I wonder if leaving the program after the first year would be a bad idea, professionally.

As for my chances reapplying again without earning the MA, I believe I could improve my writing sample and focus my personal statement significantly this summer.

Furthermore, I think last year was a very tough year and several schools held my application past April, one waitlisted me and I wound up with several MA offers, but no funding.

In the meantime, I would be working toward an MA which would greatly improve my chances for 2011, so my question, if it wasn't clear, is should I bother to reapply to the 3-4 schools that took a long time to reject me, once my transcripts, letters and test scores are already on file?

They are flexible, in that they don't require graduation in one year. I wonder if leaving the program after the first year would be a bad idea, professionally.

As for my chances reapplying again without earning the MA, I believe I could improve my writing sample and focus my personal statement significantly this summer.

Furthermore, I think last year was a very tough year and several schools held my application past April, one waitlisted me and I wound up with several MA offers, but no funding.

In the meantime, I would be working toward an MA which would greatly improve my chances for 2011, so my question, if it wasn't clear, is should I bother to reapply to the 3-4 schools that took a long time to reject me, once my transcripts, letters and test scores are already on file?

If you think that your writing sample and personal statement were crap and that's what held you back from gaining admission, don't bother with the MA program.

Here's the red flag for me though: schools offering you admission to a MA program to me indicates they aren't sure of something on your application which makes them not want to offer you admission into the PhD program. And it's obviously not just a single school, but several that have that worry.

Keep in mind, year on year, there are going to be more applications per year per program. Look at any school and you'll see over time that their apps are up every year. While this year saw a bigger boost in apps due to the economy, you won't be facing LESS applicants next year.