Looking for a Few Opinions

plasticastle

Here's my honest opinion: unfunded master's for a non-professional degree is not worth the financial burden.

Only go to graduate school if you're sure it's what you want to do. Take the year between now and the next application cycle and truly determine if it's what you want to do. You NEED that energy to get through the many years of graduate school. If you're questioning it now, how much will you question yourself in the future?

I will throw this out there, as someone who lived a few blocks away from NYU.

The debts you will incur are not yet realized due to the fact that Manhattan living is tumultuous at best. Groceries, dry cleaning/laundry, eating out and buying clothing are extremely expensive, and was hard for me to maintain with a roommate while bar tending making 500 a night. I lived in a A 2 bed, 1 bath on the 3rd floor of a 5 floor walk up. No central air, no laundry, no elevator; but it was still very nice and newly renovated. It was also very safe and was in such a cool spot, located right on St Marks in the east village. We had it for the low low price of 2600 a month. 1 bedrooms in the same building were 1800. A few blocks closer to NYU, and the rent goes up, drastically. And before you start thinking about Brooklyn or Queens, you must do your due diligence as well as visiting the neighborhoods.

I guess I cannot believe that you graduated with such amazing grades and are not receiving a scholarship or any sort of PhD funding. Seems like you would be a prime candidate.

First off, the uncertainty you're feeling is very natural. Making the transition - moving far away from home and living alone for the first time, and racking up huge amounts of debt in the process, are all very daunting. In many cases that's just anxiety that comes up after making the "final" decision to attend school and goes away not long after. However, I sense a genuine uncertainty in your post. Don't go to grad school unless you're sure that's what you want to do! It sounds to me like the best thing you can do is take this year off and work full time; use this year to work on personal growth - becoming independent, getting to know your needs and what makes you happy. That in itself is a confidence booster, and the distance time will give you can help you focus your interests. I'm willing to bet that once you DECIDE exactly (if) what you want to study and craft your statements accordingly, you will be able to secure some funding at a PhD program. In any case, I would not risk going into debt for a degree in the humanities, certainly not one I was no longer sure I even want. That's my $.02.

I agree with fuzzylogician on this one; it is a huge amount of debt for something you are not 100% about. Can you get a deferral from NYU and take a year off? At the worst, then, you would save up some cash for the move. If not, reapplication might be your best bet.

Next year I am also going into a MA program in a humanities discipline, unfunded. There are a variety of reasons why I am doing this, the biggest one being that I need it in order to have a better chance at Ph.D. funding in the same discipline at a great program. So yeah, right off the bat, I chime in with everyone else in that you have to know exactly what you want and be completely confident in that decision. I received offers from three fine programs. In the end, I picked the one that had the lowest cost of living. On top of that, I'll be working at least 24 hours a week to help defray costs.

Manhattan's cost of living is ridiculous. NYU is not cheap. You're going to be paying double in tuition than me and three times the cost of living expenses at the very minimum. I encourage you to work for a year and then do an MA if you can afford it, or work on improving your Ph.D. application. Or find a cheaper MA option.

I agree with the opinions of the other posters. It sounds like you are really uncertain and I think it would be difficult to prepare for and start a grad program, if your not at least 80% sure its what you want to do. My advice would be to wait a year, work, try and defer admission to NYU for next year in case you do decide that you want to go there. I don't think you will lose anything by waiting a year. But in the meantime, do what you can to prepare to reapply next year. It sounds like you might want to continue your education. But, you also sound unsure of whether or not a PhD is right for you.

I would also suggest looking into other degrees, since it sounds like your not totally certain. You might also talk to professors for advice.

Good luck! I know this is all very nerve wracking!! But, I think you will make the right decision.