Fall 2015 Comparative Literature PhD, anyone?

I had a friend admitted to michigan for comp lit. She received a phone call Saturday night, so I can confirm that those acceptances are rolling out. Keeping fingers crossed for all who applied there!

I'm the emory rejectee -- unofficial -- emailed DGS and he kindly told me my status (unofficially). just letting you guys know

I'm sorry about this! Hopefully you get some great news soon!

In other news LinkedIn has sent me three emails this morning all pitching job openings. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something...

Or maybe the sudden activity created by adcomm people checking your profile is making them think that everybody is interested in a candidate like you!

I'm hoping for the best now. ugh, I'm afraid my health is going. I'm skiving at work, but I don't feel quite well. I lost lunch :unsure: :unsure: I'm not sure if I can eat dinner. I need a kitten pile.

I wish they would just hurry up though with the rest -_-

OK, not to get paranoid or anything about Michigan but just noticed that my Wolverine Access is "unavailable"---I had no problems using it to check my status an hour ago (clearly hitting refresh but aren't you guys proud that I only do it once an hour?)... 

GAH THE AGONY!!!!

And Katla, you're too sweet :) They were all for positions in the industry I left in the town/country that I'm currently at.

Edited by fancypants09

OK, not to get paranoid or anything about Michigan but just noticed that my Wolverine Access is "unavailable"---I had no problems using it to check my status an hour ago (clearly hitting refresh but aren't you guys proud that I only do it once an hour?)... 

GAH THE AGONY!!!!

I must not check my UMich application, I must not check my UMich application!!!! How am I supposed to concentrate at work now?

And Katla, you're too sweet  :) They were all for positions in the industry I left in the town/country that I'm currently at.

Ahhh well :(

Edited by Katla

I must not check my UMich application, I must not check my UMich application!!!! How am I supposed to concentrate at work now?

Ahhh well :(

Apologies if I made you jump! But it may be worth checking Wolverine Access---I can't log in to it all, it's giving me the error page. 

Apologies if I made you jump! But it may be worth checking Wolverine Access---I can't log in to it all, it's giving me the error page. 

Yeah, I can't log in either, I just get this

"The System is Unavailable for One of the Following Reasons:

• The system is not available at this time. To check the hours when the system is available, click the hours of operation link on the Gateway.
  • You do not have access to the functionality you have requested.
  • The system is experiencing technical difficulties. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later. 

Click OK to go back to the gateway or you will be redirected in 10 seconds."

this is silly. I'm now getting to the 'no sleep' point along with 'no food staying down'. it's because it's feb and I'm like checking my email every 30 seconds, esp at night (it's day in the USA now but we are 13 hours ahead of east coast) :ph34r:

this is silly. I'm now getting to the 'no sleep' point along with 'no food staying down'. it's because it's feb and I'm like checking my email every 30 seconds, esp at night (it's day in the USA now but we are 13 hours ahead of east coast) :ph34r:

I know this is probably useless advice, considering I'm not really following it, but there's nothing you can do to speed up the process except for distracting yourself. Is there something you could do or someone you could hang out with that would temporarily get your mind off of all this?

Yes, I'm still in the office, and was there until 5 AM yesterday (or today, i should say)

I know this is probably useless advice, considering I'm not really following it, but there's nothing you can do to speed up the process except for distracting yourself. Is there something you could do or someone you could hang out with that would temporarily get your mind off of all this?

Yes, I'm still in the office, and was there until 5 AM yesterday (or today, i should say)

I work long hours too, but the moment I come home.... well I'm reading tolstoy. but it's sleeping that's difficult, because I need to put everything I'm doing away........

Yeah, I can't log in either, I just get this

"The System is Unavailable for One of the Following Reasons:

• The system is not available at this time. To check the hours when the system is available, click the hours of operation link on the Gateway.
  • You do not have access to the functionality you have requested.
  • The system is experiencing technical difficulties. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later. 

Click OK to go back to the gateway or you will be redirected in 10 seconds."

False alarm on my part, I think---worked for me when I checked it just now, and no change in my status. :( Again apologies for the scare!

False alarm on my part, I think---worked for me when I checked it just now, and no change in my status. :( Again apologies for the scare!

Yes darn you :P But seriously, how can not make any sudden change to a system into a sign of doom and decision-making?

• 2 weeks later...

I know, me too... It is quite literally soul-draining...

me too, I feel you...I am waiting for those official rejections (especially for NYU, which seems like an implied/official rejection at this point/for a while now), I am not very keen on being left hanging..

I have major hate for those universities that don't send out their rejections at the same time as their admissions, it's just pernicious.

Edited by harakiri

me too, I feel you...I am waiting for those official rejections (especially for NYU, which seems like an implied/official rejection at this point/for a while now), I am not very keen on being left hanging..

I have major hate for those universities that don't send out their rejections at the same time as their admissions, it's just pernicious.

Argh, I couldn't agree more! It messes with your emotions on such a level there are no words for it.

I actually applied to NYU last time around as well and as I recall they didn't send out rejections until very late in March. 

I'm also guessing I have quite a few other implied rejections among my applications by now though at least some of them seem to have an occasional waitlist notification.

Hey, guys.

I have 7 schools in total, but I only heard back from Columbia. I got rejected. :(

Should I be worried that I haven't heard back from the others? 

I applied to ten and so far have only had decisions from two, and have had post application contact with a third.

It's hard to say whether you should worry or not, there hasn't been an awful lot of information about Comp Lit acceptances this year so it's difficult to say whether the school simply hasn't sent out notifications yet or whether the admitted students simply aren't on GradCafe.

Personally though,I'm currently writing off six of my programmes as implied rejections because the result board show at least one acceptance/show that people in previous years have been accepted in late Jan to early Feb. However, judging from the result board people are sometimes waitlisted a lot later in the season and sometimes get in, so it's difficult to say anything.

Basically, maybe steel yourself against bad news but remember that there really is no saying. It's not over until you hear anything official from the universities and it is still early in the season. Anything can happen!