MFA Photography 2015

markeet

Columbia University sent interview notifications yesterday (Tuesday)

did the status of your application change online to indicate you received an invitation for an interview?

anyone else receive an invitation for an interview for Columbia yesterday?

Not yet (RIT). I looked at last year's thread and the responses started the last week in Feb, so I'm hoping any day now.

I was admitted to RIT photo a couple of years ago and received a phone call the third week in March. Not sure if that is the norm or if they were behind schedule that year. I didn't stay at RIT, primarily for financial reasons, so I just applied for this fall. 

I was admitted to RIT photo a couple of years ago and received a phone call the third week in March. Not sure if that is the norm or if they were behind schedule that year. I didn't stay at RIT, primarily for financial reasons, so I just applied for this fall. 

Hi Summers,

Thanks, except I'll probably have nervous breakdown by then!! It is a real stretch financially. Did you like it while you were there? 

Interview with RISD, got an email yesterday w/ options for Skype interview next week.

Congrats!

Who is in Boston for the MassArt interview? Other than maidenvoyage and I? We could all meet up and get dinner or something!

Congrats!

Who is in Boston for the MassArt interview? Other than maidenvoyage and I? We could all meet up and get dinner or something!

I have my interview for mass art tomorrow via Skype. I wish I could have gone out there for the interview, but where I live in CA the flight situation to get out there was terrible. Good luck with your interview tomorrow & let me know what you think of the faculty/ school if possible!

Gracias! No word from MICA yet, right?

Not a peep.

I'm not sure if they do interviews for the photo program. I know they do interviews for Mt. Royal, but other than that I have no idea what's up.

Congrats!

I'm flying in tonight!  I have to check my portfolio (it's too large for carryon) so I'm praying that it makes it!  Would love to meet up, but my schedule is packed.  Also interviewing at SMFA, and have a meeting at Lesley.  Good luck everyone!  Anyone else attending SMFA's interview day on Saturday? 

Hi Summers,

Thanks, except I'll probably have nervous breakdown by then!! It is a real stretch financially. Did you like it while you were there? 

I really liked it while I was there. There was some disorganization due to both department and university wide changes, but I think that's all straightened out now. The faculty are super awesome...and there are a lot of them, and with diverse interests, so you will definitely find faculty you want to work with. There is endless equipment you can checkout, you just need to find the time to do it, but something definitely worth taking advantage of. I don't know if you've been to visit, but there are no private studios, but there was a brand new photo grad space being built, which is supposed to be really nice. Though you do have some options for taking courses in other disciplines, it is not an interdisciplinary program, which is something I've decided that I'm looking for, as my work has moved in that direction. Finances are tough though. The scholarship and assistantship offered barely make a dent. I thought I was ok with it, but it is also all the other money you need to spend on living expenses and supplies. It really all adds up. That's why I'm looking for programs with tuition waivers and stipend. If you are ok with the financials, I think you'd be happy there. There are ups and downs, though I think you'll find that in any program, but the excellent faculty make up for any short comings. Rochester has some great things to offer, particularly the George Eastman House. Their historic process workshops are expensive, but worth every penny. You won't find someone more knowledgeable or inspiring than Mark Osterman. Personally, I wasn't a big fan of upstate New York. The winter's are oppressive, especially when you come from a sunny place. The skies are gray all winter long, and the winters are extra long. 

I really liked it while I was there. There was some disorganization due to both department and university wide changes, but I think that's all straightened out now. The faculty are super awesome...and there are a lot of them, and with diverse interests, so you will definitely find faculty you want to work with. There is endless equipment you can checkout, you just need to find the time to do it, but something definitely worth taking advantage of. I don't know if you've been to visit, but there are no private studios, but there was a brand new photo grad space being built, which is supposed to be really nice. ...

Thanks Summers! You are so right about the resources there, at RIT and GEH. I don't think any school has such a large faculty in Photography. It was so difficult to pick only one or two people whom I wanted to work with there. I did visit last summer, and grew up in the area so I am familiar with the glorious winters. ;)

The other 2 schools I applied to are, like you mentioned interdisciplinary and offer full funding. I think either(all photo or interdisciplinary) would make me very happy. Since I am used to a very spartan life style, living here on a modest salary, the cost of living in any of those smaller cities would be a relief to me.

I saw those historic process workshops on the GEH web site; they look amazing! I'm glad you got to take one/more!

Where are you applying now?