Poor freshman year grades; relatively better 'core' grades - honest opinion about prospective schools

Pastafarian

I'm a fourth-year undergraduate in Computer Science from an Asian university. I posted here (check this for my full profile) earlier but I was asked to post here regarding this particular topic as I was told that people geared towards CS might be able to help me more.

I intend to apply for an M.S. program in Computer Science in the US, with a strong focus in Artificial Intelligence and/or Cognitive Systems. The problem is, I'm worried about some of my grades from freshman year in some important classes (e.g. B's in Calculus I and II, a glaring C in Linear Algebra), especially after reading this http://www.reddit.com/r/gradadmissions/comments/25gmig/a_somewhat_notgentle_guide_to_getting_into_grad/.  However, I believe I have improved since then and my grades in 'core' CS subjects are relatively better, especially in subjects which I like, e.g. Artificial Intelligence, Algorithms, Computation, Data Mining etc.

Most of my 'core' CS subjects begin from the 2nd year at my university. I'll post my grades in these core subjects from my 2nd & 3rd year (I can't post my 4th year grades yet, for obvious reasons) here and I'd really like to get an honest evaluation of them, and the kind of schools I should realistically be shooting for. Any advice is appreciated.

• Object-Oriented Programming - A-
  • Logic in Computer Science - A-
  • Digital Design - B
  • Discrete Structures for Computer Science - A-
  • Data Structures and Algorithms - A-
  • Database Systems - B
  • Microprocessors & Interfacing - B
  • Principles of Programming Languages - A
  • Computer Architecture - A-
  • Theory of Computation - A-
  • Operating Systems - A
  • Artificial Intelligence - A
  • Computer Networks - A-
  • Compiler Construction - B
  • Design & Analysis of Algorithms - A
  • Data Mining - A-
  • Software Engineering - B

In addition to this, I have two graded research projects, both Computer Science-related, and I was awarded an A for both. All in all, my 'major' GPA over the last 3 years works out to just above 3.6. My cumulative GPA is just above 3.5.

Edited by Pastafarian