Post-Bacc Research Advice

Epoh

Hey guys, I could use some advice on browsing for research positions in neuro/psych related labs. I have decided to postpone my applications for clinical psych this year, because I wanted to take some time to see the world and continue building my research skills, that said I'm finding it incredibly difficult to attain a paid position in a lab.

I'm from Canada, but most of the labs around me are simply not interested even if I volunteered (and my credentials are solid), the only positive responses I've received are one school from Eastern Canada saying contact them if I'm interested in the spring, a volunteer position in New York, and the potential for paid opportunities in 2 labs in philadelphia. I was really hoping this process would be easier, does anyone have any advice on what I can do here? I'd rather not waste a year when I could've simply applied to do a masters instead. I'm more than willing to go where I need to. Thanks.

Edited by Epoh

One thing I did that worked was to approach someone and say something like "I have a project in mind, X, and I can have the protocol ready and prepared to conduct this project at time Y, will you help me get access to subjects and put through the IRB paperwork?"

That seems to work. But you have to be able/willing to work on your own, and need a project. I'm not sure if this helps.

I recommend using indeed.com and searching "psychology research assistant" or "psychology research jobs". You can limit the search to different geographic areas. Also, studentdoctor.net (Psychology PhD forum) usually has a thread where people post positions that are available. April/May tends to be the time when most positions are available as currents RAs find out about their graduate school prospects and employers start looking to fill newly available positions. If you're currently working with a research mentor, some of their colleagues may email them with requests for applications. Maybe you can tell them you're on the lookout for a position and to keep their eyes open? There are also email lists that employers tend to use to blast out calls for applications - this differs according to your area of research interest. Good luck! 

Edited by joelouis313