Should I forgo on my PhD applications this year?

My first deadline was yesterday, and my two professors still have not sent the damn letters. I emailed, called, implored. One of them responded with a, "Oh yes! I'll upload it shortly." Still waiting. :)

My next deadline is today by 5:00, and LATE LETTERS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. This is my first choice school, by the way and I feel like flipping over a table. 

I am beyond furious, and I'm planning to write a letter of complaint to the dean of my school. This is completely unprofessional. They screwed up my entire future! 

Is it best to just give up on my PhD applications this year and go into a different business? 

My first deadline was yesterday, and my two professors still have not sent the damn letters. I emailed, called, implored. One of them responded with a, "Oh yes! I'll upload it shortly." Still waiting. :)

My next deadline is today by 5:00, and LATE LETTERS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. This is my first choice school, by the way and I feel like flipping over a table. 

I am beyond furious, and I'm planning to write a letter of complaint to the dean of my school. This is completely unprofessional. They screwed up my entire future! 

Is it best to just give up on my PhD applications this year and go into a different business? 

I can see how you are frustrated, but I would caution you before writing a rant and rave to the dean. Your professors are in no obligation to write you LORs so just be careful. It may be unprofessional yes, but not something they will be reprimanded for or even spoken to. It may be much more detrimental to your professional image than it would be productive. 

Also, they did not screw up your entire future. You can reapply with different letters next year after using the unfortunate opportunity to build your application for a year. 

If you complain to the dean who do you think is going to want to write you letters for the next application season? What blisis said is true for the most part. If they want you, they'll still want you if a letter is late.

It sounds like you have other applications out there, though? Why bother applying to multiple schools if not getting into this one would wreck your future?

Hi youngcharlie101, I am not sure if you resolved this issue yet, but I thought recent discussions in the political science forum might be helpful. The recent posts in the "Welcome to the 2014-15 cycle" talk about letters being late. But many point out that it should be fine, most ad comms do not gather until January, usually. Here is the link:

I hope this helps you. I would suggest you to take a moment and breathe! This isn't the end of the world, even though these applications are our lives these days. I am in the same boat as you as an applicant, so I completely understand. But you should really see it as only part of your life, not the whole thing! And since you have remaining schools to apply, I don't think it's too late to think about what you can do for the rest of the applications. Maybe try to have a 4th letter writer, if possible? If I were in your situation, I would politely ask the current writer if s/he is dealing with many things so cannot commit to writing letters anymore. And if s/he says no, then I will say that I understand, and still thank him/her for the willingness to support my further education. And I'd try to look for another writer. But this is just what I would do. I hope it gets resolved soon!

Edited by visgiven

Hi youngcharlie101, I am not sure if you resolved this issue yet, but I thought recent discussions in the political science forum might be helpful. The recent posts in the "Welcome to the 2014-15 cycle" talk about letters being late. But many point out that it should be fine, most ad comms do not gather until January, usually. Here is the link:

I hope this helps you. I would suggest you to take a moment and breathe! This isn't the end of the world, even though these applications are our lives these days. I am in the same boat as you as an applicant, so I completely understand. But you should really see it as only part of your life, not the whole thing! And since you have remaining schools to apply, I don't think it's too late to think about what you can do for the rest of the applications. Maybe try to have a 4th letter writer, if possible? If I were in your situation, I would politely ask the current writer if s/he is dealing with many things so cannot commit to writing letters anymore. And if s/he says no, then I will say that I understand, and still thank him/her for the willingness to support my further education. And I'd try to look for another writer. But this is just what I would do. I hope it gets resolved soon!

Thank you so much! :)