Berkeley App

Infinite Zest

I think that while officially an A+ only counts as a 4.0, some grad schools will count it as a 4.33. That just opens up the question, then how do you get a 4.5? 

I did undergrad there, none of us ever got A+s. I once got an A- on a paper because one of my sentences was a bit redundant. I'm not kidding. 

At my current grad institution, my GPA is at a 4.2 due to a couple A+. However at my previous institution they did not award A+'s.  I have also heard of A+'s being granted but with no GPA change...i.e. max 4.0 no matter what you get.  Not all institutions give A+'s for grad students, and some institutions discount any incoming GPA's above a 4.0 as they consider it grade padding, which I somewhat agree with ( I think my A+'s were generous but unnecessary of my professor, although they were wonderful at counteracting a couple A-'s I received!) 

When I filled out the Berkeley app, they let me input 5.5 for my GRE AWA - are you sure it won't work?

Also at Berkeley itself, A+ counts as a flat 4.0 for undergrads - there's no extra grade booster, and once you get an A- you're forever cut off from the mythical 4.0 overall GPA. So while they may consider GPAs higher than 4.0, I'm sure they don't give excess weight to the higher numbers. I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

Edited by hreaðemus

When I filled out the Berkeley app, they let me input 5.5 for my GRE AWA - are you sure it won't work?

Also at Berkeley itself, A+ counts as a flat 4.0 for undergrads - there's no extra grade booster, and once you get an A- you're forever cut off from the mythical 4.0 overall GPA. So while they may consider GPAs higher than 4.0, I'm sure they don't give excess weight to the higher numbers. I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

Yeah, still not letting me enter anything more than a single number.

In reference to the GRE scores: I don't remember having this issue. What browser are you using?

If I recall, doesn't Berkeley have a place to say what your GPA scale is?

As far as the GRE goes, I've tried using both Mozilla and Internet Explorer with no luck.

With regard to GPA, I don't see anything. I'll just report it on a 4.0 scale. If things get confusing, they'll have my transcript/transcript key.

• 4 weeks later...