Pending Green Card and Application?

foia

Hello all,

I applied to six different Statistics MS and PhD programs for this spring 2015 semester and had a question to ask. I am here in the US with a student visa and recently filed a petition to become a US Permanent Resident (Green Card holder). I expect to be done with the process by the end of this summer.

I am aware that international students have somewhat less chance of admissions due to funding issues. I was wondering informing departments of my Green Card petition now would help my application or not. If it should be helpful, how should I approach this issue to departments?

Thank you everyone for your help in advance.

Edited by foia

No, you should not tell them about this process. It won't change anything because you don't have a green card for sure, and there's no way they will risk the possibility that you don't get approved when making the decision--it could mean an extra $200,000 or so in costs for them. 

Also, (for this part, I'm not an immigration expert so please also get expert advice), I think it might be a bad idea to mix permanent residence applications with student visa applications (if you need to get a new visa for grad school). One of the requirements for both the F-1 and J-1 visa is intent to return to home country and it would be very hard, in my opinion, to convince the visa officer that while you have a petition for a green card in process. But I guess if you are able to extend your current student visa to this new program somehow (not sure if you can) then it might be okay?

Thank you for your reply. It makes sense that departments will not risk that I may not become a permanent resident. In case of rejection for my green card petition, I believe that I can transfer my current I-20 into my graduate school. If that happens, I will have to talk with an attorney.