MIT EECS 2015

Nickelodeon999

Starting this thread on MIT EECS Fall 2015 admissions.

I have few queries:

1. Does MIT EECS conduct interviews before declaring admission decisions?
  2. Is the policy same for US residents & international students?
  3. If interviews are conducted, what is the nature of discussions?
  4. Who generally conducts such interviews - professors of interest or graduate committee members?

BTW, this year's graduate roundup is on 30th January 2015 as per the following link:

http://calendars.mit.edu/eecs

Edited by Nickelodeon999

From what I've heard...

1. No.

2. I don't see why they would be different...they're MIT, so the only way that might factor in is your ability to speak English. I could be wrong.

3. See 1.

4. See 1.

Given that that's the policy, it may be the case that individual POIs would conduct interviews if they're unsure about something, but in general interviews seem to be a no-no with MIT EECS (juuust like GRE scores).

Someone replied that he/she has been accepted to MIT EECS. Is this legit? I thought the grad Roundup meeting will be held on 30 Jan?

Most acceptances at this point seem to be informal. Like, some POI told them over the phone. Could be a few people jumping the gun there.

So I have a chat Saturday, but I called it an "other" and not an "interview," because really it's a professor who has a few specific questions for me. 

I think many people are classifying those sorts of chats as interviews, which I guess is technically still correct, but it's not a formal, university-driven interview like other programs, so there's really not much you can infer from getting or not getting one. 

same--had an informal chat with POI. But I am more of a borderline case so maybe they are chatting with borderline candidates. I wouldn't worry if you haven't heard back yet.

How did that go for you, out of curiosity? 

I just had mine, and I don't think I'd ever been more nervous. I'm most likely in the same boat as you. I was an exceptional student and I have glowing recommendations, but I didn't publish anything as an undergrad. I did research, but it culminated in an honors thesis. So to be honest, I was surprised I even heard anything. I'm confident I would be happy and successful at MIT, but I don't think my history as an undergrad portrays that; I was almost positive they only bothered with published researchers. 

Of course I am beating myself up for things I could have explained better, but what worries me the most is that the professor mentioned a really awesome project at the end of it all as tangentially related to something I wanted to do for fun. The project is really awesome, which makes me more emotionally invested, which is torturous now that things are out of my hands completely. 

So I'm going to go make some bread and try to stop thinking about how my data flow analysis should handle concurrent execution for like ten minutes  :rolleyes:

BTW, did you guys recently check your grad applications page: https://gradapply.mit.edu/eecs/apply/login/ ?

It is probably a false alarm, but i heard from some people that their username has been replaced with their email id.

MIT only emails the acceptances so there might be some truth to this statement? or they are just pulling my leg. Hehe.

Mine is still userid, so a bit worried and also a little bit curious if anyone else has seen this and if this is really an indication of having been accepted. 

How did that go for you, out of curiosity? 

I just had mine, and I don't think I'd ever been more nervous. I'm most likely in the same boat as you. I was an exceptional student and I have glowing recommendations, but I didn't publish anything as an undergrad. I did research, but it culminated in an honors thesis. So to be honest, I was surprised I even heard anything. I'm confident I would be happy and successful at MIT, but I don't think my history as an undergrad portrays that; I was almost positive they only bothered with published researchers. 

Of course I am beating myself up for things I could have explained better, but what worries me the most is that the professor mentioned a really awesome project at the end of it all as tangentially related to something I wanted to do for fun. The project is really awesome, which makes me more emotionally invested, which is torturous now that things are out of my hands completely. 

So I'm going to go make some bread and try to stop thinking about how my data flow analysis should handle concurrent execution for like ten minutes  :rolleyes:

Same. I really just applied to MIT for the hell of it and was not expecting to hear back. My interview was so-so. I fumbled over some questions but I think I did ok on others.

Best of luck to both of us!! :)

BTW, did you guys recently check your grad applications page: https://gradapply.mit.edu/eecs/apply/login/ ?

It is probably a false alarm, but i heard from some people that their username has been replaced with their email id.

MIT only emails the acceptances so there might be some truth to this statement? or they are just pulling my leg. Hehe.

Mine is still userid, so a bit worried and also a little bit curious if anyone else has seen this and if this is really an indication of having been accepted. 

Interesting. I can log in with both my user id and email. I doubt this means anything though. (we are an insane bunch, aren't we?)

Interesting. I can log in with both my user id and email. I doubt this means anything though. (we are an insane bunch, aren't we?)

I think they probably can log in using both what they IMed me last night is this that for their case previously it was:

1) "This .... Graduate Admissions. You are logged in as <user-id>"

now it is :

1) "This .... Graduate Admissions. You are logged in as <email-id>"

Haha well you said it ! This has been bugging the hell out of me. :(

Whew, I got lot of friends here. I also applied MIT just for my long shot. It has been my ultimate dream to study at MIT, although seeing those people who have stellar resume were being rejected, I think my dream will stay as a dream. Hahaha.

I am a good undergrad students, not stellar one, did undergrad research, got one paper published by my professor to a regional event, which non-existent at Google, unfortunately, due to poor event organization during my time. Did undergrad assistantship for 3 years, and working 3 years in non-academic institution, more of a major IT consulting.

I tried to shape my experience as best as I could via my SoP. I mentioned my undergrad thesis, although I think my research was too simple compared to other people. I also put my 3 more years experience in my SoP hoping that they would care of it.

But since then, I haven't hear anything from them, nor any interview request. Even from other universities I am applying. Anxiously checking e-mail every hour. Just pray for the best. :)

Same story with me as well. MIT is sort of a long shot, but hey it just takes a few bucks to try, right? I had a decent undergrad from Singapore and also got about a year of research engineering experience under the belt. After that I have been working for a top multinational semiconductor manufacturer on defect analysis and spent about 1 year attached to their headquarters in US. 

I have applied to Appl Physics and Devices and tried to show how my experience in defect analysis might be advantageous to MIT. No journal publications but the recommendation letters should be pretty good. I too have not heard back anything from them. The wait seems never ending. 

Has anybody heard when MIT cs results are expected? Looks like several univs have announced cs results a week earlier than last year.. MIT cs is next weekend going by last year?

Has anybody heard when MIT cs results are expected? Looks like several univs have announced cs results a week earlier than last year.. MIT cs is next weekend going by last year?

The grad roundup meeting happened on the 30th of Jan and the acceptance emails are sent a week after that. So I think next week sounds about right.