On nailing the tasteful thank you note...

TheMercySeat

Does anybody have any advice or any links to preferred templates that they are willing to share? 

How about advice for how many people should receive a thank you note? 

Of course I plan to send one to my potential mentor, but it appears as if I will be meeting several professors at some upcoming interviews. 

Is it appropriate to send perhaps a less rigid one to graduate students who agreed to put me up for the night, or is that 'too much'?

I found these examples at a glance, but the last paragraph seems a tad pushy to me ("I hope the program has a good feeling about me"): http://gready.blogspot.com/2006/03/graduate-school-interview-writing.html

I need some help achieving the balance between 'too much,' being perceived as being pushy, or failing to express appropriate gratitude. Any words of wisdom will be much appreciated because I am cluelessly winging it at this point  :)

Edited by TheMercySeat

Wow, I haven't even heard of doing this. Where did you receive this advice? I was just going to thank my recommenders. Hopefully, I haven't been committing a faux pas with POIs!

Perhaps I have been in the workforce for too long, but I think it might be SoP?

It is mentioned on a few different sites in a grad school context, though:

http://www.graduateprograms.com/applying-to-graduate-school/what-to-do-after-your-graduate-school-interview-2/

http://www.psychologyinaction.org/2014/01/13/interview-tips-for-students-applying-to-phd-programs-in-psychology/

Not real sure which is the fairest of them all in terms of templates/guides :)

Wow, I haven't even heard of doing this. Where did you receive this advice? I was just going to thank my recommenders. Hopefully, I haven't been committing a faux pas with POIs!

I don't think you're committing a faux pas. I don't think it's common to send thank you notes to POIs, though of course it's perfectly fine if they were helpful throughout the application process. I never did anything more than write them a nice short email letting them know how things turned out if I didn't end up accepting an admissions offer from their school. They were all appreciative of the follow up and were glad I ended up in a place that I was excited about.  

OP: as someone who used to host prospective students every year, most say thank you and bring a small gift, e.g. a chocolate bar or a snack from wherever they are from. Few later send a card, and we'd put it on the fridge and enjoy it for a while. I think a "thank you for hosting me" is fine, but a "I hope the program has a good feeling about me" is a little bit awkward. Just thank your host for their hospitality.

I myself prefer to send handwritten thank you cards, however given the quick turn-around of decisions after interviews, you should probably drop an e-mail. A little less professional, but could still be important. 

My interview was done on Monday. Tuesday I e-mailed a thank you and was told they were making decisions at that moment. Received my acceptance on Wednesday.