UPenn 2015!!!!!

ashlee_liu31

I recently decided to go to UPenn and want to meet some people. =) I will be a PhD student in East Asian Languages and Civilizations, probably with a focus on Buddhism. 

I am currently finishing up my BA at McGill. I was from Toronto and China. 

I am looking for a buddy to travel to China with in the summer; is anyone interested in? =)

• 3 weeks later...

I'll most likely be accepting my offer at the PhD program in History starting in the fall semester of 2015 focusing on East Asia and Korea (North Korean history). Looking forward to seeing at least one of you around! 

I'll most likely be accepting my offer at the PhD program in History starting in the fall semester of 2015 focusing on East Asia and Korea (North Korean history). Looking forward to seeing at least one of you around! 

Omg! If you do we will definitely see each other because I will be in East Asian Languages and Civilizations! Please do update me your choice!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I will be at UPenn this year for the MSE in Robotics programme! I look forward to meeting you all on campus :)

Has everybody begun their housing hunt yet?

Hello all,

I will be at UPenn this year for the MSE in Robotics programme! I look forward to meeting you all on campus :)

Has everybody begun their housing hunt yet?

Yes and it is so exhausting! I haven't committed yet, but if I do, I'm just going to get a Realtor. I was looking for a house in the suburbs but parking on campus is so expensive, I think I'm going to opt for a condo in center city. I found this post to be helpful for popular neighborhoods: http://mba.wharton.upenn.edu/student-experience/living-philadelphia/housing/

Edited by hgp

Yes and it is so exhausting! I haven't committed yet, but if I do, I'm just going to get a Realtor. I was looking for a house in the suburbs but parking on campus is so expensive, I think I'm going to opt for a condo in center city. I found this post to be helpful for popular neighborhoods: http://mba.wharton.upenn.edu/student-experience/living-philadelphia/housing/

I want a condo in center city too! Do u mean you haven't accepted Penn's offer yet?

• 2 weeks later...

I want a condo in center city too! Do u mean you haven't accepted Penn's offer yet?

Yes, but I just did this weekend! I stayed at Center City over my visit, and I took the subway to campus - it was more of a walk than I had anticipated, but it could have been because I didn't know the area. 

I recently decided to go to UPenn and want to meet some people. =) I will be a PhD student in East Asian Languages and Civilizations, probably with a focus on Buddhism. 

I am currently finishing up my BA at McGill. I was from Toronto and China. 

I am looking for a buddy to travel to China with in the summer; is anyone interested in? =)

Lucky that you have this chance to go back to China. My program starts early. (´・ω・`)

I'm looking on Zillow for apartments. There are so many fake posts on craiglist!

What are people paying for apartments? I'm thinking about around $1000 for a studio/one bedroom or $500-800 for 2 or 3 bedrooms (with roomates)

Just got admitted a couple days ago for U Penn Computer Graphics Master :D I'm very thrilled... except for the funding part. Is anyone here international student also looking for funding? Any tips?

And congrats to all of us here!

Congrats! Does ur program not fund u?

Just got admitted a couple days ago for U Penn Computer Graphics Master :D I'm very thrilled... except for the funding part. Is anyone here international student also looking for funding? Any tips?

And congrats to all of us here!

Edited by ashlee_liu31

I'm an incoming computer science PhD student. How are people finding roommates? The semi-official UPenn offcampushousing site has maybe 100 people listed total.

Can u show me the link? I am looking for a roomate too!

Can u show me the link? I am looking for a roomate too!

https://offcampushousing.upenn.edu/login

You need a Pennkey to access the roommates part, but they should have sent you that. I got mine in the mail a few days ago. You can also just email them and say you're a new student who doesn't have a upenn.edu email address yet.

I don't have my key yet :(

If you make an account with a non-upenn.edu address you'll be able to access everything but the roommates section. But if you click on the roommates section there should be a link for what to do if you haven't received the PennKey yet. I emailed the person at that link, explained that I was an incoming student without a PennKey, and they sent me a code that let me upgrade my account to post in the roommates section.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone at Penn have advice for which parking pass I should get? I will be living on campus so I will only be using my car to go to the grocery, IKEA etc.

Most realtors I've been in touch with regarding apartments (studios that is) have told me to get in touch in July for move-in in August. Is this your experience too? 

• 3 weeks later...

To those accepted into Upenn and still looking for a place to live:

Our house is available for rent as early as August 15, though September would also be fine. This is a big place, close to Penn, and would be great for 3-5 grad students.

We can work with international students who have no US credit history.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/5059520295.html