University of Michigan

Having searched this forum for older Michigan threads, it seems like they were never very active (or instructive). Lots of "Just got back from my visit, and I am definitely accepting!" (which is helpful in its own way) but not a lot of discussion about what sets Michigan apart or what people liked about it or what the department looks like. 

Anyone here accepted for Fall 2015? How are you leaning? I don't think I've seen anyone in the acceptances thread. 

Anyone going for the official visiting weekend? Planning to visit another time? 

Anyone around currently at Michigan want to talk about their experiences? (In thread or in PM?)

Small personal aspect: I've been accepted with the Rackham Merit Fellowship, which makes the funding offer very generous (much more than any of my other offers), and Michigan is obviously an amazing program, and yet I am still hesitant for some reason. It's definitely a nice problem to have, at least. Hoping a visit helps clear things up. 

Oy. I applied for the Joint English and Education program and haven't heard anything, which I am not sure if that is good or bad (I am having a bit of a wait list extravaganza this season) . Are you English Language and Literature? When is the visit weekend? And congrats on the fellowship! They are high on my list, so I do hope I hear sooner rather than later. 

I'm English Language and Literature -- I don't think I've seen any of the joint programs post on the results board, so maybe no news is good news? (Or at least not implied bad news?) 

The visit days are March 26th and 27th.

I hope you hear back soon! 

Me too! I am trying to adhere to the no news/good news policy, but it was weird to see all those English PHD admits a week or so ago. It is encouraging that the visit day (if they coordinate all the English visits at once) is awhile away from now-still have some time.

Thanks for starting this thread, thepriorwalter! I was accepted to Michigan (English language and lit.) also and am super curious about the program. It seems amazing, and I just got my funding info today (which also seems extremely generous, although I think I was just given the normal 2-year departmental fellowship?). I am from the west coast--California originally, now live in Portland--and have no familiarity with the area or program itself. (One of my mentors, however, did her undergrad at Michigan and absolutely loves the school and area...so there's that.)

I am planning to go visit, although unfortunately not during the visiting days (just before them). Thepriorwalter, are you planning to visit? I'm deciding between a number of schools right now and don't have a top pick, but I'd say Michigan is definitely in my top three. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather continue this conversation that way. 

Me too! I am trying to adhere to the no news/good news policy, but it was weird to see all those English PHD admits a week or so ago. It is encouraging that the visit day (if they coordinate all the English visits at once) is awhile away from now-still have some time.

I'm fairly confident notifications for the different programs have historically been separate, looking at the past results board info. I don't think the same person even makes the calls!

Crossing my fingers for both of you!

Me three! Although I have yet to hear anything either. *shrug*

I heard from a professor who recently did his PHD at UMich that they sometimes do two rounds of admissions -- I don't know if this is still true anymore, but just throwing that gossip out there. (I haven't heard anything myself and it's possible he was lying to me to make me feel better.)