First steps to take after arriving in the US

As this will be the first time I ever go overseas, I began frantically searching for the basic information an international phd student should know to plan the departure. But information bring up questions so I'll just ask a couple of them to start:

First, I will probably obtain a J-1 status and this means I will be able to enter the US 30 days before my program starts. Is it a good idea to come early? I am inclined to think it is since it would help adapting to the new environment. I was thinking of arriving 20 days before the program starts but then what should be the first thing to do at the arrival? I suppose opening a bank account will be one of the first things to do and then check housing opportunities in person. All great but this will have to be done with personal savings in the first month or two and so I am worried if this could result in a rejection of a leasing application for rent (at that moment I would not have an SSN or ITIN for example).

Any thoughts on the first steps to take? Or someone who has already gone through these first steps may share some info?? :D

I also arrived on a J-1. You should look into your school's international student orientation dates and make sure you arrive before that!

I did not have a SSN or ITIN when I first arrived but I was still able to set up a bank account (yes, do this on day one) and rent an apartment. I used my offer letter that states my annual income as proof of income. I would recommend that you are careful to describe yourself as a "researcher", not a "student" because some people will still think student = no income.

Also, a lot of places will require a deposit because you don't have US credit and/or you don't have SSN/ITIN. For example, cell phone companies. Sometimes, they will know to ask for a I-20 form (or DS-2019 for J-1) and they will accept that in lieu of a giant deposit. However, in other cases, you will have to deposit some money. For electricity bill, I had to put a $250 deposit that they still have (I can't get it back until I move).

There is also a deposit on the apartment. Some states allow as much as 2 months rent as deposit. You will need US funds for this so I would recommend bringing in at least 6 months rent worth of savings as a minimum -- you'll have to pay first month rent right away, and up to 2 more months as a security deposit and sometimes it might take a month to get paid so having 3 months extra rent should hopefully cover most expenses to the first paycheque. If you have the savings, perhaps consider up to 1 years' rent to have some on hand in case of emergencies. Some schools will also offer no-fee no-interest "startup loans" to help if you don't have a lot of savings.

If you can get a US Driver license, the sooner you do so, the better. If you are planning to arrive a month before your program start, and you already know how to drive, this might be a good time to spend the day lining up the at the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) and take the tests. Once you have a US driver license, there's nothing on that which indicates you're not an American so when I use this form of ID, my life becomes a lot easier.

Finally, perhaps the most important thing, you should check in at your school's International Office the day you arrive, if possible. They will get you to fill out a lot of important paperwork. The most important thing though is that they will give you a letter that you take to the Social Security Administration and they will be able to issue a SSN. It will take about 5 days before they will be able to give you a number and a few more days for it to arrive in the mail.

And one tip, a lot of people are more familiar with F-1 students than J-1 students. If they ever ask for a I-20, just show them your DS-2019 and explain that it's the J-1 equivalent to I-20. 

There is also a deposit on the apartment. Some states allow as much as 2 months rent as deposit. You will need US funds for this so I would recommend bringing in at least 6 months rent worth of savings as a minimum -- you'll have to pay first month rent right away, and up to 2 more months as a security deposit and sometimes it might take a month to get paid so having 3 months extra rent should hopefully cover most expenses to the first paycheque. If you have the savings, perhaps consider up to 1 years' rent to have some on hand in case of emergencies. Some schools will also offer no-fee no-interest "startup loans" to help if you don't have a lot of savings.

If you can get a US Driver license, the sooner you do so, the better. If you are planning to arrive a month before your program start, and you already know how to drive, this might be a good time to spend the day lining up the at the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) and take the tests. Once you have a US driver license, there's nothing on that which indicates you're not an American so when I use this form of ID, my life becomes a lot easier.

and they will be able to issue a SSN. It will take about 5 days before they will be able to give you a number and a few more days for it to arrive in the mail.

And one tip, a lot of people are more familiar with F-1 students than J-1 students. If they ever ask for a I-20, just show them your DS-2019 and explain that it's the J-1 equivalent to I-20. 

Opening a bank account is something you could do on day 1. Often branches of big banks near the university or the local credit union are good options since they'll know how to deal with international students. You could ask current international students in your department where they have their bank accounts. You'll get a debit card and a few checks immediately. Order more and ask about a credit card if you're interested in building up your credit history in the US (I'd recommend it). Normally for wire transfers it shouldn't take more than 2-3 business days for the funds to show in your account. You might consider bringing some cash with you, as you feel comfortable, in order to make purchases easier until you have your US account set up. That way, you could deposit some money immediately when you open the account and you'll at least have something to start with. Having some cash is also convenient. You could always use your foreign credit card in the US, but keep in mind that there may be a fee. If you rent an apartment, it's very likely that your landlord will want a local check and not a foreign one or your bank account information (unlike in many European countries) so you could do one of three things - (a) bring some cash with you, deposit it, and use one of your beginner checks, (b ) wait for a bit before starting to search for an apartment, until your wire transfer is finalized, (c ) ask a friend to pay for you first month (but I wouldn't be surprised if many landlords wouldn't like that and would want to make sure you have a bank account and some money in it). 

Finding an apartment depends on the market you'll move to. In many places it'll be very fast. Be ready to sign a lease the same day you see an apartment, so don't start looking before you are set up to pay rent. Check Craigslist or other local websites but always see an apartment in person before signing a lease! Some cities often work with realtors, so it's worth finding out about that ahead of time, in particular who is supposed to pay them (you or the landlord) and how much they usually cost. You don't need a SSN but I would suggest contacting your department's admin person and asking them to write you an endorsement letter that basically says that you are a beginning graduate student in their department, with guaranteed funding of X amount for Y years. That will help show landlords that you are financially solvent and they can trust you. 

Other things to do early on -

- arrange for internet/phone/cellular service. They may want a deposit and it may take them a surprisingly long time to come install your internet, so get started as soon as you have a place. You could start arrangements for the technician's visit before you move in, and pick a date early after your move-in date. These services may ask for a deposit, since you don't have a credit history, so take that into account. 

- shopping for furniture, beginning supplies. May be worth renting a car and going out of town for that, especially if there is a big discount store in the suburbs. From my own experience, often renting through a foreign website (e.g. through your home country) is cheaper than doing it locally. 

- at the DMV: if the wait for taking the practical exam are long, you could get a state liquor ID while you wait for your drivers license. It's the local ID people get if they don't drive, and once you have it no one can tell you're not a local person as well. You can use it to buy alcohol but also to identify yourself at any government agency, including using it as your ID for domestic flights. I highly recommend having some kind of local ID instead of carrying your passport around. 

Honestly I don't think you need 20 days for this, probably 10-14 would suffice, though this partly depends on the housing market you're moving into. Not that it would be bad to have some time to explore the city, but just FYI getting settled actually doesn't take all that long. 

An alternative to bringing actual cash is a bank draft or money order in US funds. This was how we did it! It's a tiny bit more secure that you can report the missing money order if lost/stolen (and hope that the thief hasn't cashed it yet since basically the holder can cash it even though it has your name on it).

Well, a credit union just replied to my inquiry telling me that they cannot open an account without an ITIN. Strange, also because it would be impossible to get an ITIN without a physical address, and a physical address (i.e. renting an apartment) would be very difficult to get without a US bank account! All starts from that and it has to be opened on day one, that's for sure!

Try a different bank or credit union. Some places just don't know all the information or they don't train all of their employees on how to help non-American clients.

I actually opened my US bank account while just visiting the US prior to even officially entering the US on a J-1 status. They did require a US address so I used my friend's address (the bank said this was okay as a temporary measure). I know that many banks near the US-Canada border will be able to open a US bank account for Canadians without a US address.

You do not need a ITIN in order to open a bank account but they do need some kind of identification number. My bank allowed me to open a bank account using my Form DS-2019. Try another place. 

Edit: It's been awhile so it might have been the case that the bank opened the bank account with my DS-2019 but also helped me fill out the form to apply for an ITIN at the bank and they submitted all the paperwork for me. In any case, opening the bank account was something I did on a visit to the US (as a visitor, not as a J-1) and something I did prior to leasing an apartment.

Try a different bank or credit union. Some places just don't know all the information or they don't train all of their employees on how to help non-American clients.

I actually opened my US bank account while just visiting the US prior to even officially entering the US on a J-1 status. They did require a US address so I used my friend's address (the bank said this was okay as a temporary measure). I know that many banks near the US-Canada border will be able to open a US bank account for Canadians without a US address.

You do not need a ITIN in order to open a bank account but they do need some kind of identification number. My bank allowed me to open a bank account using my Form DS-2019. Try another place. 

Edit: It's been awhile so it might have been the case that the bank opened the bank account with my DS-2019 but also helped me fill out the form to apply for an ITIN at the bank and they submitted all the paperwork for me. In any case, opening the bank account was something I did on a visit to the US (as a visitor, not as a J-1) and something I did prior to leasing an apartment.

Yep that's probably the advantages of being North American :D. A prior visit would cost me a lot primarily for the plane! Another solution I was thinking is if I could use a credit card (talked to my home bank and they said obviously that circuits like visa and mastecard work all over the world) to deposit immediately funds on the US account that is to be opened. With that I should be able to readly deposit funds for the lease. I know that landlords have to impose a security deposit for safety, but that sucks anyway :D

Yes, I'm not suggesting that you fly out earlier just to open a bank account :) I was just using it as an example that you can open one prior to securing an apartment and perhaps a more knowledgeable bank or credit union can help you out when first arrive in the US!

Also, be careful of using your credit card to "deposit funds" since that's not normally how credit cards here work (perhaps this is okay in your country though!). But if we did something like that here, it would be a cash advance which carries a very high interest rate from the moment of the advance as it counts as a loan. 

I believe the most convenient and safest way to transfer your money is a wire transfer but the second safest way would be a bank draft or money order!

Yep that's probably the advantages of being North American :D. A prior visit would cost me a lot primarily for the plane! Another solution I was thinking is if I could use a credit card (talked to my home bank and they said obviously that circuits like visa and mastecard work all over the world) to deposit immediately funds on the US account that is to be opened. With that I should be able to readly deposit funds for the lease. I know that landlords have to impose a security deposit for safety, but that sucks anyway :D

I opened an account online before arriving in the US, not during a prior visit (think 12-hour flight, very expensive). I chose my school's credit union (e.g.: http://www.mitfcu.org/home/apply/online_membership),which knew exactly how to deal with international students and which offered a pretty good deal. I'm sure there are other banks near your university that would know how to deal with international students even if the branch you talked to didn't. You shouldn't need a ITIN to open an account.

Yes, I'm not suggesting that you fly out earlier just to open a bank account :) I was just using it as an example that you can open one prior to securing an apartment and perhaps a more knowledgeable bank or credit union can help you out when first arrive in the US!

Also, be careful of using your credit card to "deposit funds" since that's not normally how credit cards here work (perhaps this is okay in your country though!). But if we did something like that here, it would be a cash advance which carries a very high interest rate from the moment of the advance as it counts as a loan. 

I believe the most convenient and safest way to transfer your money is a wire transfer but the second safest way would be a bank draft or money order!

Well here the interest rate is applied only with a revolving option credit card (that let you pay the credit card use in installments), but if the credit card is issued without a revolving option, the sum is paid in one solution with no interest applied. Of course I would take the no interest option because I don't need in that moment to defray the costs, but to have a bridge to have funds ready in the US account.

@fuzzylogician yeah I found another credit union which works with the university and they said I have to do a paper application and mail it to them. In your experience after opening the account online did you receive the debit card for ATMs by postal service since you were not in the US yet?? Or you had to get it from the branch after arriving in the US?

On 2/21/2015 at 2:38 AM, Felixjuggler said:

@fuzzylogician yeah I found another credit union which works with the university and they said I have to do a paper application and mail it to them. In your experience after opening the account online did you receive the debit card for ATMs by postal service since you were not in the US yet?? Or you had to get it from the branch after arriving in the US?

I picked up my debit card on my first day of errands in the US. At the same time, I also deposited some cash I brought with me. There was an option of sending the card in the mail but I was worried it would get lost or not reach me in time, and anyway I didn't need it before arriving in the US. 

So I will just post other questions I have in mind and see how much patience people have to answer :D (well maybe this thread will be useful to other people I hope).

Question is: Contract or prepaid mobile phone? I would say prepaid because in my country almost every person use prepaid options and used to refill before the month ends, so I would not bother refilling especially if it is possible to do it online. Another thing that confuses me is calling and receiving calls. Here most prepaid plans allow calling numbers of other providers without charges for a number of minutes (because it is stated in the prepaid plan). In the US let's suppose I go with T-mobile, what happens if I call with my prepaid plan a person that has an AT&T number??? Or another example, what happens if I call a landline number in the US?

Thanks as always for the answers, even if probably you'd like to beat me for having so much questions :D:D:D

On 2/22/2015 at 8:30 AM, Felixjuggler said:

Question is: Contract or prepaid mobile phone? I would say prepaid because in my country almost every person use prepaid options and used to refill before the month ends, so I would not bother refilling especially if it is possible to do it online. Another thing that confuses me is calling and receiving calls. Here most prepaid plans allow calling numbers of other providers without charges for a number of minutes (because it is stated in the prepaid plan). In the US let's suppose I go with T-mobile, what happens if I call with my prepaid plan a person that has an AT&T number??? Or another example, what happens if I call a landline number in the US?

I had a prepaid plan throughout grad school. It worked fine for me, because most places I spent time at had wifi access and I hardly ever use my phone to make calls anyway. It was definitely more cost-effective than a plan. That said, as a graduation present I got myself a smartphone and a plan, and now I can't see myself going back. In your case, I'd suggest starting out with a prepaid plan and seeing what your needs are like once you're there. You can always switch to a plan if you need to. 

In the US, you pay both for outgoing and for incoming calls. Moreover, usually (and with the disclaimers that plans and carriers may differ here) you pay for calls to numbers of other providers, and sometimes you may also pay for calling numbers of the same provider. You need to compare the details of the plans you might consider joining. Mobile/landline never made a difference for any plan I looked at. 

I used prepaid in Canada but now I am on a "contract". It's not really a contract because my provider (T-Mobile) does not require me to stay on their service for X number of months etc. It's really a "postpaid" service, that is, I pay a monthly rate for a certain amount of service and if I go over, I pay extra charges.

In the US, it doesn't matter who originates the call, you pay for the time you spend talking on the phone. Sometimes you can set up special deals like a certain set of US numbers are free (usually those numbers have to be on the same provider). Other plans might have different "buckets" of minutes -- you might get a smaller amount for "daytime" minutes (usually during business hours Mon-Fri) and another larger amount for evenings/weekends. 

My wife and I are on a family plan with T-Mobile. We pay $80/month for both of us and we get unlimited minutes (this used to be 1000 minutes but they changed our plan), unlimited text, 1GB each of 4G data and unlimited 3G data. We don't really need the minutes--each of us probably talk on our phones for like 10-20 minutes per month. But we use a lot of data and text messaging, so this is better than prepaid. Another nice thing about this family plan is unlimited international roaming so when we are traveling (or visiting home in Canada), we can use 2G or 3G data for free, with no limits! And if we have to make calls in another country, the rate is something like 20 cents / minute.