Michigan State University Class of 2017 :)

Anyone get accepted and planning to go to Michigan State?? 

I will be flying from California to go to the information session on April 3rd. Anyone else planning to attend?

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances!

Congrats! I've been accepted but have not decided whether I will be attending. I'm hoping to visit at some point but it will depend on a few other schools and how much time I can dedicate to campus visits. Is MSU your top choice? Are you an out of state student? I'm a little concerned about the cost of tuition but it seems like a unique program. 

Hi! Yes I am an out of state student (I currently live in California). Right now, MSU is my top choice :) Have you been able to find any detailed information about finances? I can't find the info anywhere but I plan to ask while I'm visiting the campus in April.

As far as tuition, it looks like it's about $15000 a semester (30k a year) for non-residents. I've been emailing a professor there and he said they don't usually offer research assistantships to incoming MA students but students do sometimes earn money by working in a research lab. He's going to give me more information about that but that's about all I know. 

I got accepted and will be attending the information session this Friday! I'm still waiting for one more school before I make my decision though. 

jpiccolo, can you share the information you receive? I would love the opportunity to continue to work in a research lab and make money to curb the costs of out-of-state tuition :wacko:

I didn't apply to MSU because I am an out-of-field applicant, but I am from East Lansing and they have a reputation in MI for having a great SLP program! I can't share helpful details, because I didn't bother to look up program particulars since I was ineligible to apply, but just so you out-of-state applicants know, their program is highly respected--congrats to all of you on getting accepted!!! :)

I got accepted and will be attending the information session this Friday! I'm still waiting for one more school before I make my decision though. 

jpiccolo, can you share the information you receive? I would love the opportunity to continue to work in a research lab and make money to curb the costs of out-of-state tuition :wacko:

Nice! I can't make the open houses but I'm visiting in two weeks. I've heard a lot of cool things about MSU but I do want to visit before deciding. If you want to know more about the program I've found out quite a bit!

So there's a website that talks about different labs. I don't know that all of them offer funding but I think several do. Here's a link to the research labs: http://cas.msu.edu/places/departments/communicative-sciences-disorders/research/laboratories/

I didn't apply to MSU because I am an out-of-field applicant, but I am from East Lansing and they have a reputation in MI for having a great SLP program! I can't share helpful details, because I didn't bother to look up program particulars since I was ineligible to apply, but just so you out-of-state applicants know, their program is highly respected--congrats to all of you on getting accepted!!! :)

Thanks! That's good to hear! Do you have any insights about East Lansing in general or apartments? 

Thanks! That's good to hear! Do you have any insights about East Lansing in general or apartments?

I'd be happy to!

East Lansing has a bit of a parking problem--most of the apartments within walking distance are pretty unsuitable for anyone who's not an undergrad looking to party all the time, like College Towne apts. However, if you live off campus, it's impossible to find parking. Most people take the CATA bus. Two apartments I'd recommend that have CATA stops right next to them are Chandlers Crossing and Castle Pointe. Those apartments are reasonably nice, reasonably close, and reasonably inexpensive. I have had many MSU friends live at both complexes. Chandlers Crossing is more of a "community" type of apartment complex, with community activities and a bunch of amenities. Castle Pointe is a bit more secluded. Also, many students live in actual houses on campus instead of apartments. This could be a good choice if you all group together and live together! That way you get parking, walking distance, and spacious living quarters all in one package.

Also, I must warn you, MSU's campus is HUGE. Like, it takes forever to walk from one side of campus to the other. It's surrounded by fields and has an agricultural history, so even though it is walkable and you don't need to bus anywhere to get to a certain campus location, it could take you upwards of an hour depending on how fast you are and where you're trying to go.

East Lansing itself is pretty small, but it's surrounded by many other cities to create one mega-city, called the Greater Lansing area. You could find housing in these surrounding cities as well, such as Haslett, Okemos, Lansing, Dewitt, the list goes on...each subsection of Greater Lansing has its own quirks and stuff to do, I'd be happy to share specifics of you guys are interested :)

Just let me know if there's anything else you want to know!

Nicoleac, thanks so much for the info! I'll be visiting on April 3rd for the info session. While I'll be there I planned some apartment visits. I'm definitely going to add the ones you mentioned to places I should check out. I'm currently scheduled for tours at: the beaumont, homestead, timberlake, woodbrook, and 2900 place. Have you heard or know anything about these apartments? Positive or negative? Thanks in advance!

Fkg5005, how did the info session go? Which school are you still waiting to hear from? If you don't mind :)

Beaumont apartments are supposed to be really nice, I don't actually know anyone who lives there though! I have had 1 friend who lived in Homestead, and I think she liked it well enough? I don't remember her saying anything super negative, anyway. Homestead has a pretty good location. I think the apts themselves are pretty average from what I remember. And my cousin is moving this summer to Woodbrook! I can ask her what she thinks of it.

I don't know anything about 2900 place, and I don't know anything about Timberlake...I've actually never heard of that one lol.

Sorry I don't have SUPER detailed descriptions of apartments--EL is where my parents live, so I never lived in any of the apartments there, so all my information is about places people I know live/lived :) no first hand experience. I hope it's still helpful!

Oh and most importantly, for you all from CA...BUY WINTER GEAR! The warmer the better, no matter how silly you think you'll look! Welcome to the arctic tundra lol.

Ohhhh I thought of another apt you may want to check out! Abbot place. It's a bit more undergrad-y, but still worth checking out in my opinion!

Edited by nicoleac

Nicoleac,

Thank you so much for the information!!! Super helpful. I just bought a parka looking coat haha  ^_^ Hopefully that will be warm enough for my visit. I'll be in town in a few weeks.  Any recommendations for cool local restaurants or quick things to check out? My days will be pretty busy with apartment tours and campus tours but I'd love to see some hot spots while I'm in town.  Also, how cold is it right now? I'm from sunny southern ca, where any temp below 70 is considered cold. Any recommendations on how to dress?

Thanks again!

Right now it's maybe 40 degrees? So you probably don't need a big poofy coat unless you're super sensitive to cold, but definitely a jacket and sweater. It's a good idea to dress in layers so you can add/remove clothing as needed! In a few weeks, hopefully it will be warmer, as well.

Definitely eat at Golden Harvest in Lansing!! Best hole-in-the-wall breakfast place, ever. And if you just park your car (or get dropped off, whatever) on Grand River, you can easily spend time at all the shops and bars! One of my faves is Mad Eagle. Definitely stop at Grand River Coffee, they do sweet latte art. During warmer weather, if you do end up going here--go to the Ledges in Grand Ledge. It's a bit too cold now to enjoy them, though. 

Fkg5005, how did the info session go? Which school are you still waiting to hear from? If you don't mind :)

The info session went really well. It was nice to see the two buildings we will predominately be in and talk to a current grad student, Katie Strong, and a professor. Unfortunately, I am still waiting to hear from Penn State (my #1). Once I hear back, I can start to get ready for grad school and housing! 

• 3 weeks later...

fkg5005 and jpiccolo, have you decided on which school you'll be attending?

anyone else attending msu in the fall? I just made a Facebook group