Comparative Politics and Education

mffoster83

As I am getting ready for applications I have been focusing on my research topic I will like to pursue, and have become worried that it will be seen more applicable in another field. I want to focus on a comparative approach to education systems and its impact socially, economically, and politically, but am worried that many programs may view it better suited for comparative education than comparative politics.

• 3 weeks later...

hi mmfoster83,

we should talk. i actually applied to comparative politics programs with a focus on education/development last year and am currently a first-year at duke. you're right that it's kind of difficult to make a convincing case that it falls within the comparative politics subfield, but it is possible. what is your background? can you provide some more information on what education topics exactly you'd like to study? what programs are you considering?

Lots of people working on the determinants of educational policy across countries, ranging from Benjamin Ansell at Minnesota to David Stasavage at NYU to many others. There are also people working on education and the labor market or other aspects of the economy.

You will find fewer working on the effects of education directly, though many (too many to name!) work (particularly historically) on how education shapes nationalism and other aspects of identity formation.

If you can tell us a bit more about your specific interests (and a geographic region of interest if you have one) we may be able to offer some names/departments.