GRE in Social Work, where do you fall?

Val006

Hi all,

I have my BSW and MSW and am currently in the application process for my PhD in Social Work for Fall, 2015.  Unfortunately I was limited for time with the application process and did terrible on my GRE, I decided since I put all the effort into applications I would submit regardless.  From what I understand, Social Work is one of the professions that has a lower average in terms of its scores although depending on the program and school some are more concerned with the scores and others less concerned.

Out of curiosity I was wondering where I fit in with my peers (if you are willing to share your scores?!) and what everyone's experience has been with the GRE and particularly the correlation between their scores and admission offers.

What love to hear any stories, insights, or words of wisdom that you might have to offer!

Hi all,

I have my BSW and MSW and am currently in the application process for my PhD in Social Work for Fall, 2015.  Unfortunately I was limited for time with the application process and did terrible on my GRE, I decided since I put all the effort into applications I would submit regardless.  From what I understand, Social Work is one of the professions that has a lower average in terms of its scores although depending on the program and school some are more concerned with the scores and others less concerned.

Out of curiosity I was wondering where I fit in with my peers (if you are willing to share your scores?!) and what everyone's experience has been with the GRE and particularly the correlation between their scores and admission offers.

What love to hear any stories, insights, or words of wisdom that you might have to offer!

The GRE deeeeefinitely wasn't the strongest part of my application.  I had 151 quant and 157 verbal (I think writing was a 5 but I don't remember for sure).  I didn't retake it because honestly I'm afraid my quant would go down (and I can't afford to keep paying ETS for that damn test).  I had a friend who applied for social work PhD a few years ago and they rejected her because of her quant score because they said they were worried she wouldn't be able to get through the stats requirements.  My friend retook it and got in after that.  I got a good grade in stats so I'm hoping they will let me slip in with that 151.  My professor from my MSW (also on an adcom) said the GRE score isn't terribly impactful for admissions.  A really good score looks good and a really bad score looks bad but they're looking at the "larger package" more than anything.  I hope she's right.

What were you scores?    

Yes, I recently discovered I am on a waitlist for a phd program and spoke with the program director who informed me for the same reason hyronomus mentioned in that they are worried given its a research intensive program that my quantitative score is too low- I can't even remember but my scores are hideous, I believe like 147 or something along those lines although my gpa is 4.0 and a few other positives in my application (2 international poster presentation, lors, work experience, teaching etc.) they said they will get back to me at the end of next week, I have no idea which way it will go, I am very hopeful to find out!!

In speaking to various people it can really go either way and totally depends on personality types, schools etc.

I think it really depends on how your experience and career goals align with the goals of the program; at least that's what I was told in interviews. A lot of schools are really research-focused and looking for students with either research experience or research "aptitude." I won't have any post-MSW experience, so when I reached out to the programs I was interested in, I made sure it was clear that I have independent research experience, and I'm looking to do research, not to teach practice courses. I also realize this will limit me when I go on the market. Program directors seem to view this as a strength, whereas some professors discourage it. Again, it all comes down to fit rather than numbers, I think. Obviously numbers help build your case, but it's really the whole package.

I have also had better success with programs I did have a POI at, in terms of research fit. I was a bit lazy at a couple schools, sent in an app late at one and never really did much liaising at the other to build a relationship with a POI. Got rejected from the first and haven't heard from the second. Oops. Ha.

For what it's worth, a program director told me that MSW GPA is irrelevant for PhD apps, because pretty much everyone who graduates from an MSW program has a 4.0. :( I know that's true of my program.

Edited by pippapants

I take the GRE on Saturday and I am terrified! Based on my practice exams, I am getting 136Q and 145V.  3 in AWA. I have a 4.0 GPA, a solid essay and solid LOR's and I also completed an Honors Thesis. Hopfully they look past my low GRE scores and i get in anyway! Even as a provisional admit.

Thank-you for your insightful comments pippapants, you sound very wise, what are the status of your applications and where did you apply?  Do you mind me asking what area you are studying?  I truly believe the fit with the school I applied is there and the POI that I have connected with is very excited about my application which hopefully I have going for me although I think it will really come down to what you mention about how at the director level they really do pride themselves on being research based and while they review packages holistically the GRE is the one standardized test that measures applicants across the board certain research qualities (the validity of the tests may be another question!) I think this is particularly important as I am an international applicant (Canadian applying to an American school) but it really will be interesting to see which direction it goes.  Good point about the GPA for the MSW, although I was hoping they would look at my stat courses which I achieved high percentages in.  Thanks again for your validating comments.

....and NatReed, good luck with the GRE, I can relate with the position you are in as it sounds like we have some similarities.  I am just trying to remain calm as at this stage of the game there is not a ton more I can do worse case scenario I may need to spend my whole summer living and breathing GRE until those darn scores go up.  I will but my optimism for the first one though, for us all.

Good-luck!!

V155 Q161 AW 3.5 I got rejection letter from Columbia and so far I am still waiting for my first offer letter! I guess my weakness is that I am not from a research background. My research interest is built upon my clinical experience and the systemic challenges were observed from years of practice. I was postive about applying for Ph.D. without much research experience. However as I am getting more rejections, I am starting to question myself.

Val006, I was lucky to have really good support and advising during my apps process. I figured out early during my MSW what I wanted to do and tailored my education toward that by completing independent research and a thesis, taking on a GA, and doing conference presentations when available. I also asked around to different profs in my program for advice, so when I contacted PhD programs, I knew what to say and ask. But I think it helped because those professors who wrote my LORs were all involved in my research in some way. I know that one in particular wrote a strikingly resounding endorsement, because it was remarked upon by a director.

I applied to four different schools, all in the Midwest for a couple reasons. My husband is looking into go back to school is well, so I could only apply to schools that have the program he is looking for. Also, we want to be able to afford to live on his salary and my stipend without loans, so cost of living was important. So it was definitely tough to find programs that were a fit. And they all wanted to know "Why here?" so that was fun to answer.

I was accepted to two pretty early on and got 4 year funding from both. Rejected from the one I got my app into late and haven't heard from the fourth. But like I said, I didn't have great connections at either of those schools, so I didn't have a ton of hope.

I've already accepted an offer from my first choice and declined the other so that waitlist admissions could be extended.

I take the GRE on Saturday and I am terrified! Based on my practice exams, I am getting 136Q and 145V.  3 in AWA. I have a 4.0 GPA, a solid essay and solid LOR's and I also completed an Honors Thesis. Hopfully they look past my low GRE scores and i get in anyway! Even as a provisional admit.

NatReed. I notice you live in Tally. Are you applying to FSU?

The GRE deeeeefinitely wasn't the strongest part of my application.  I had 151 quant and 157 verbal (I think writing was a 5 but I don't remember for sure).  I didn't retake it because honestly I'm afraid my quant would go down (and I can't afford to keep paying ETS for that damn test).  I had a friend who applied for social work PhD a few years ago and they rejected her because of her quant score because they said they were worried she wouldn't be able to get through the stats requirements.  My friend retook it and got in after that.  I got a good grade in stats so I'm hoping they will let me slip in with that 151.  My professor from my MSW (also on an adcom) said the GRE score isn't terribly impactful for admissions.  A really good score looks good and a really bad score looks bad but they're looking at the "larger package" more than anything.  I hope she's right.

What were you scores?    

To follow up, I got into two out of three programs so there is hope for those of us with less than stellar scores :)

NatReed. I notice you live in Tally. Are you applying to FSU?

cclasp2003- I am applying to FSU. Do you have any inside info on the MSW program? I took the GRE this morning and got the same score...

Funding for both is solid but I want to visit UIC before I decide. Have you made a decision?

Yes, I was offered a fellowship at my first choice. They have the faculty I like the best. Really well funded program for travel and such. Friends in the area. More job opportunities for my husband. We should be able to live without loans. Woohoo!

My scores were pretty low--I can't remember the exact numbers, but I freaked out and skipped half the math, and ended up somewhere in the 40th percentile. I was in 80th and 90th for quant and analytical.  I only applied to one school (recently married, started new job, moved to new city--didn't want to uproot so quickly).  surprisingly got in, and with full funding.

Congratulations!  I found out today that I was also accepted with full funding... it seems like the pattern emerging from this theme is hopefully a positive one for those in similar circumstances.  Best of luck to everyone.